05' NSX-T Clutch???

My 05 with only 20,000 miles just had the clutch go out:confused:. The dealership says 4400$! The manual says you have to replace the fly wheel. Is this necessary? or is there options out there that are more resonable? Aftermarket clutch or something?

The SOS sport clutch is only $1645.00 plus installation. I had one installed about a month ago and like it. Check it out under the vendor page. $4400.00?? That must include installation, but stilll seems high but then it is from a stealer(dealer).
I see you finally sold your other NSX.

Yes about a month ago. The guy was cool and new a lot about NSX's. The problem was I just dropped 6600 into that trany of the 91'. Now 4400 into this new one!:frown:
Is the needforspeed a real upgrade? and does it incuide the flywheel?

Are you sure you need a new clutch?

Are you having a clutch pedal problem where the clutch pedal drops to the floor and doesn't come back up? If so, the problem is not the clutch. It is a lack of clutch fluid or clutch master or clutch slave failure.

I just wanted to make sure your not getting shafted by your dealer.

Last edited:
On the later models 97-2005 the flywheel is a dual mass. This is why is cost so much, go with the SOS clutch kit. The flywheel is alot lighter and will rev faster.

There is a reason the friction disc is sold separately.

If the flywheel and pressure plate are good (not excessively scored or blued), then just go ahead and replace only the friction disc and throw out bearing. Less than $500 in parts.

If necessary, Porsche folks have experience resurfacing dual mass flywheels.

You only get so much time and money in life: maximize and invest both!

Drew
/FWIW I have a NIB spare 1997+ friction disc for sale. I was actually planning on installing a single disk clutch in my 1991 because it does a lot of parking lot driving on the freeways.

//Heck, I even have a rebuilt 1991-1996 OEM clutch with Kevlar facings for sale too. Very nice.

I just don't have time for projects anymore. I just threw in some new Center Force disc's and that was a couple of years ago....works great too.

Have SOS do the work! They will know exactly what needs to be done and will ensure you don't get ripped off!

May be a hassle shipping the car to them; but then again, may be the smartest thing you do all year!

I live close to them. Let me know if I can help out if you decide to go this route!

Thanks to everyone for the comments and help. I am still a little perplexed on how the clutch went out with 22,000 miles. Seems strange. I have the SOS clutch coming tuesday. There is a slight back order on these I guess. Great site NSXPRIME!:smile:

The car basically works fine at low RPM's. Initially I felt a "slip" at about 6,000 RPMs in 5th gear. The clutch does seem to only engage when it is almost all the way out. Now it will "slip" (the RPMS ramp but the car losses speed) in even 1st gear- if I get on it.
I dont ride the clutch, but I like to drive agressively (like prolly every member here) I guess the previous owner must have rode the clutch or something? It certainly seems strange.:confused:

Can some one please tell me what this means?

I believe the clutch cyclinder on the clutch pedal is giving out, you may have to replace the slave cyclinder.??????

Thanks in advance!

The car basically works fine at low RPM's. Initially I felt a "slip" at about 6,000 RPMs in 5th gear. The clutch does seem to only engage when it is almost all the way out. Now it will "slip" (the RPMS ramp but the car losses speed) in even 1st gear- if I get on it.
I dont ride the clutch, but I like to drive agressively (like prolly every member here) I guess the previous owner must have rode the clutch or something? It certainly seems strange.:confused:

What you describe does seem like a worn clutch. I was just checking since you had not actually described it. BTW, do you have free play in the clutch pedal? There should be about 1/4-1/2" free play or the clutch will slip.

Regards,
LarryB

Yes, Thanks so much to SOS they are truly an asset to all NSX owners!:biggrin:
I will personally buy all my stuff through them.
Totally off the subject but does SOS have a front bumper / nose that is more aggressive to the overall length of the NSX?

Doc,

Yes, flywheel is not a resurfacable design. Even if you did somehow manage to cut it, would be too thin, would overheat then fail prematurely. I replaced my 95 NSX T clutch with a SPEC stage one disk and pressure plate along with a lightweight aluminum flywheel. The factory setup has light pedal pressure but slips like all Honda clutches for easier shifting. After researching a while, decided on the SPEC kit because it has light stock pedal feel (I live in a city) but 40% better grabing force. My setup is eight pounds or so lighter than stock and gives slightly better acceleration from the engine. Very smooth for city driving and no chatter, flywheel has replaceable surface insert so you never have to cut or replace it. To save money, signed up as a SPEC distributer and got the cost down to $1200 two years ago for everything, very happy with my choice! They have lighter or stronger kit options for modified turbo and supercharged cars. Let me know if you are interested, can get you a quote.

Stephen

My 05 with only 20,000 miles just had the clutch go out:confused:. The dealership says 4400$! The manual says you have to replace the fly wheel. Is this necessary? or is there options out there that are more resonable? Aftermarket clutch or something?

Attachments

• SPEC Clutch 1b.JPG
    SPEC Clutch 1b.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 62
  • SPEC vs OEM Clutch sm1.jpg
    SPEC vs OEM Clutch sm1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Back