02 vs 04

I've been looking into some NSX's and wanted some input from Prime members. There is a 2004 with 9K miles Rio Yellow for $65K being sold by a dealer. There is also a Spa Yellow 2002 with 16K miles of which I do not yet know the price.

I have looked at the descriptions of year-to-year changes but would like to have input if there are other advantages to the newer than the obvious. Are you better off paying more upfront for a newer car, and thereby reducing maintenance costs in the long run? Are there some known issues with 02 year? Basically, how much more do you think the new one should be worth albeit subjective. Also, how do Spa and Rio differ...seems like Rio is more shiny in pictures.

I have been interested in the NSX for a long time, and thankfully am not in a rush so I can get a good deal.

I believe the only differences are interior cosmetic (shift knob)...but I can also be mistaken. Note: 2002's were the best year regardless...hehe:wink:

Rio is darker. I like it better.

I like Rio a bit better, but Spa is nice. Personally, I would go with an '02 and save 10k. These days, the low mileage '02's are going in the mid 50 range. However, that doesn't mean you won't find a great deal somewhere on an 04 in the mid to high 50's. As you know, the economy is down and this is a buyers market. (Color is also contingent on the price).

Ok, I'm in the minority then because I like the Spa Yellow better.
I like the brightness of it over the Rio.
If you're going to do Yellow, go all the way.:smile:

I agree

It is darker but the heavier pearl / metallic in the paint makes it more vibrant in the sunlight. It almost glows in the sun.

I've been looking into some NSX's and wanted some input from Prime members. There is a 2004 with 9K miles Rio Yellow for $65K being sold by a dealer. There is also a Spa Yellow 2002 with 16K miles of which I do not yet know the price.

I have looked at the descriptions of year-to-year changes but would like to have input if there are other advantages to the newer than the obvious. Are you better off paying more upfront for a newer car, and thereby reducing maintenance costs in the long run? Are there some known issues with 02 year? Basically, how much more do you think the new one should be worth albeit subjective. Also, how do Spa and Rio differ...seems like Rio is more shiny in pictures.

I have been interested in the NSX for a long time, and thankfully am not in a rush so I can get a good deal.

2004 came with keyless entry, cd changer (changer and keyless are optional on older cars) and the gauge faces are dark blue instead of black with a narrow plastic silver trim ring around each gauge. If you see Rio in the daylight you will like it better than the Spa. Here is a pic of my gauges with SOS aluminum trim rings:
nsx_interior_3.jpg

Last edited:
I have never seen the RIO in person but I do know the SPA has that "true" exotic look to it. Similar to the yellow on Ferrari, Lambos and other exotics. I was never hot on metalic paints on exotic cars anyhow... Just my .02

I have never seen the RIO in person but I do know the SPA has that "true" exotic look to it. Similar to the yellow on Ferrari, Lambos and other exotics. I was never hot on metalic paints on exotic cars anyhow... Just my .02

Current yellow on the Gallardo is closer to Rio than Spa due to the pearl content.

For 2004-2005:

1. The keyless entry is factory installed, and has parking light flash and audible beep notification.

2. The CD Changer is also factory installed, is the newer smaller Alpine chassis, and has mp3 capability

3. Shift knob is changed

4. Color of the gauges is changed, and the background texture of the area surrounding the gauges is different

5. Center Console color different

6. Japanese tool tray with more cutouts (but the tools are the same as before)

7. Passenger side power lock switch deleted.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

Greetings

Here is from the source docs on Prime:

Changes for 2003

* Rear sway bar size increased from: 17.5 mm to 19.1 mm. Wall thickness remains at 2.3 mm

[edit] Changes for 2004

* US Colors: Long Beach Blue Pearl, New Imola Orange Pearl, Grand Prix White, New Formula Red, Rio Yellow Pearl, Silverstone Metallic, and Berlina Black. Each of these colors can be matched to a corresponding interior color for a personalized look or ordered with a conventional tan or black leather interior.
* Now standard equipment instead of options: Keyless entry, CD changer in trunk
* Redesigned shift knob
* Removal of passenger side power door lock.
* Gauge Cluster bezel color change: from "Aluminum" to dark gray.
* MSRP $89,000 + destination and handling $745.00
* Interior gauge faces changed from black to dark blue

2004 might still be under warranty, depending upon the date of purchase.

cheers,
Martin

From Edmunds in 2002:

the 2002 NSX is essentially the same as the one offered to exotic car buyers back when the last Bush was president. Clearly, something had to be done.

That "something" is a series of visual and mechanical upgrades designed to extend the NSX's shelf life another 24 months, sometimes referred to as a "reskin" or "freshen" in automotive circles. Elements like flip-up headlights and monotone interior panels have been axed in favor of today's hip fixed headlight design (featuring high intensity discharge bulbs), while inside the cabin a combination of chrome plating and metallic paint dress up the center stack, door handles and door-mounted switchgear. The gauge cluster has also been upgraded with a blue (instead of the previously black) background, and optional high-impact colors like Vivid Blue and Targa Silver are available to capture the flavor of many aftermarket kits.

Looks like the cluster became blue in 2002....

I was going to say, my 2003 cluster has a blue tint to it. I'll go look at it again in the light.

02 transmission is different than the 04 transmission. In 2004, Honda switched back to the 1997-1999 transmission on the 04 & 05 NSX.

Anything notable in the differences between the 2 transmissions?

I like both Spa and Rio but am very happy with the Spa. can't go wrong with either 02 or 04! Good luck!

Anything notable in the differences between the 2 transmissions?

Don't know exactly what the diferences are, but from what I read on Prime, the 00-02 transmission seem to have more issues than the 97-99. Hence Honda went back to the 97-99 transmission on the 04-05.

For those members that have had issues with their 00-02 transmission, can you guys shed some light on this matter?

I posted this in Socal forum, but if anybody in Newport Beach area can check out the 04 for me, please PM me. Also, would anybody here purchase without seeing it and a PPI if it is out of warranty? I've never been in this situation but flying cross country right now is quite difficult for me.

Where did you see any discussions about the transmission differences? I looked and could nto find any. I would be curious to know if there are issues with 02' transmissions as I have never heard of this..

Thanks,

Dennis

Don't know exactly what the diferences are, but from what I read on Prime, the 00-02 transmission seem to have more issues than the 97-99. Hence Honda went back to the 97-99 transmission on the 04-05.

For those members that have had issues with their 00-02 transmission, can you guys shed some light on this matter?

Back