02+ front bumper ?

Question for those who have had to take off front bumper of 02+. The NSX got hit @ a glancing blow thank God in a parking lot today, and tore a hole in the upper front bumper. Other than that nothing else is damaged or compromised not even the Styrofoam behind the bumper. The 3M bra is stronger that I thought. I have already ordered the bumper cover from here:

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/partlo...9011&callout=1&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

I have never taken the nose off but for those that may have done it I assume that everything part/sea/gasket, etc. that is attached to it can be removed and re-applied to the new bumper? I know the top section comes apart from the #8 the valance panel so that should not be an issue but was just curious as to the upper so I can tell my paint/body guy on what to expect. Thanks for any help guys.

UGH!

P1070711.jpg

Last edited:
^ i think (almost sure) that every part is separate, so you could remove everything from the damaged one and bolt it up on the good one....carefull with the color match, as it can be a PITA to get

Omg 810 for just the top half. Thats expensive to me , that makes the entire front bumper painted about 3 grand right. And yes, i think its like any standard bumper, just with more to take off like all the cooling vents for the bottom right and left. He should eaisly be able to take entire bumper off then seperate the pieces. He may even be able to just do half though i think you should take off all the bumper and paint it all just to make sure the front is all the same paint.

I would be pissed beyond anything someone could control.

but when you take off the bumper it IS A BITCH to line back up. mine is still not lined up right. the bumper sits a little lower than it should in regards to the fenders. there has to be a trick to line it up but I have yet to find out what. good luck and sorry about your damage on your LBBP my fav color

important.

go to the nsx builds thread and look at chris nsx's thread where he did the front end conversion on his pre 02. some points

1) you need to order the black stickers from the factory that cover the area inside the grill that is black. (get down low with a flashlight and look inside the grill opening and you will see the nice way that honda did this.

2) you need to make sure that you either have these stickers as you can't take them off your current damaged top half, or you need to be familiar with how it is painted so your painter can paint these areas black. if you don't you will have two blue fangs from the top bumper cover coming down in the grill area when the bumper is put all back together. (if you look at chris nsx's thread you can see what i'm talking about.

3) the bumper needs to be painted while it is completely disasembeled and then put together.

important.

go to the nsx builds thread and look at chris nsx's thread where he did the front end conversion on his pre 02. some points

1) you need to order the black stickers from the factory that cover the area inside the grill that is black. (get down low with a flashlight and look inside the grill opening and you will see the nice way that honda did this.

2) you need to make sure that you either have these stickers as you can't take them off your current damaged top half, or you need to be familiar with how it is painted so your painter can paint these areas black. if you don't you will have two blue fangs from the top bumper cover coming down in the grill area when the bumper is put all back together. (if you look at chris nsx's thread you can see what i'm talking about.

3) the bumper needs to be painted while it is completely disasembeled and then put together.

Thanks for the info guys, we have a very good painter/body shop guy lined up. He works on Jay Lenos Duesenberg's and I have seen his work so I am pretty sure he can handle this job. I am going to take off some of the bumper today and look so i can tell what to expect and I'll just have him paint the areas black instead of the stickers. He will have the old nose to copy off of so to speak.

I would check with Joe at Vince's Autobody (pbjasso) if he has painted a LBB before.

See if he can come up with a formula for your painter. He is the most knowledgeable here about NSX paint and bodywork.

He is very nice guy and will take the time to talk to you on the phone. He spent over 45 minutes with me ex paining who to paint a Formula Red correctly and how to get the mid-coat to match perfectly. This guy is amazing.

I would never paint anything on the NSX again without getting his advice first.

Back