'01 Factory Built Comtech?

I am looking at a 2001 that apparently was one of a few factory assembled with Comtech s/c, etc.

"a comtec supercharged car with 450 h.p. only a few were ever built, 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds, quarter mile in 12 seconds,"

I was not aware that any NSXs were factory prepped in this way.

Car is in Canada (as I am).

I don't have the VIN yet, but I just thought I'd ask about the likely authenticity of this car. Is it likely for real?

Thanks, Karl

I think someone is pulling on your maple leaf!:biggrin: In all likelyhood, the CTSC may have been installed by an Acura dealer. I believe those are rather strong numbers (HP and performance) unless more was done than just the SC. I would ask for "varification" of those claims. :wink:

I am looking at a 2001 that apparently was one of a few factory assembled with Comtech s/c, etc.

"a comtec supercharged car with 450 h.p. only a few were ever built, 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds, quarter mile in 12 seconds,"

I was not aware that any NSXs were factory prepped in this way.

Car is in Canada (as I am).

I don't have the VIN yet, but I just thought I'd ask about the likely authenticity of this car. Is it likely for real?

Thanks, Karl

Thanks. Here is the full ad...

http://www.buysportcar.com/carDetail.asp?AD_ID=458

I'm sure it's a great car, but being new to NSXs, I want to be comfortable with this before I move fwd.

I think someone is pulling on your maple leaf!:biggrin: In all likelyhood, the CTSC may have been installed by an Acura dealer. I believe those are rather strong numbers (HP and performance) unless more was done than just the SC. I would ask for "varification" of those claims. :wink:

I might be wrong, but when I opened the link, I didn't see anywhere that it's a factory built SC'd car. Yes, a few dealers piled on all the goodies and sold it new with the warranty etc, but a "factory built" I don't think so.

I might be wrong, but when I opened the link, I didn't see anywhere that it's a factory built SC'd car. Yes, a few dealers piled on all the goodies and sold it new with the warranty etc, but a "factory built" I don't think so.

The ad doesn't say specifically factory built, but I spoke to the seller and not knowing anything, I asked about the "only a few every built" comment - did it come from the factory like this? He said yes. But maybe we're just both not understanding each other... and maybe he meant from the dealer. :rolleyes:

He said it has the blower, some kind of custom suspension, 18/17 staggered wheel setup, etc.

I suppose if I arrange a thorough check by a Honda/Acura dealer for the car and a leakdown test shows good pressure, it should be ok.

Problem is the car is 3000 miles west of me, so unless I fly out to see it... it's sight-unseen.

I currently driving an '07 Audi RS4 and an '07 Subaru Sti Limited. I had an '01 M Coupe (BMW) for 7 years, but I put it into a wall this Sept after 7 seasons of track. Anyway, I like unique cars...:smile:

Thanks, Karl

Agreed. Fact is the ad specifically does not say anything about "Factory Built". Actually is is probably a high boost kit installed by an independent or a dealer.

Regards,
LarryB

Wow, they are really building up that car as being a rare commodity. It looks clean, however there is a lot of "fluff" in that ad. I suspect that a lot of cars advertised on that site are inflated.

If you are certain about buying a SC'd NSX you should make sure you buy from the person that had it installed and talk to the shop that did the installation.

Make sure you do a Pre-Purchase Inspection with a reputable NSX Tech and have a compression leakdown test.

Good Luck on your search.

come over to the cdn section for info on cdn cars. PM swbatte. He's selling his pristine red 92 with all the servicing done for about half that. Then supercharge his car.
Id want to buy a car we know the history of.

It is WAY TOO MUCH $$$$$$$$$. I purchased mine (CTSC ++++) with a fraction of these miles a 2002 and paid MUCH MUCH LESS! The purchase price should not exceed $50K and that may be high.

Could not get the link to work?
Be careful buying a CTSC car with multiple owners.
Some have been flogged pretty good.
Not all, but some.............
History, receipts and all records are a huge plus.

This might help. Just make sure you rate the car correctly.
Many overestimate the condition of their cars........
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Pricing#General_NSX_Pricing_Guide

Also, mods generally go for pennies on the dollar.
Which is great news if you find one already set up way you want it.

It is WAY TOO MUCH $$$$$$$$$. I purchased mine (CTSC ++++) with a fraction of these miles a 2002 and paid MUCH MUCH LESS! The purchase price should not exceed $50K and that may be high.

You shouldn't forget you have just been a lucky b@$trd:rolleyes: with your car
You got your car really cheap IMHO:eek:

I have been looking at NSX's in general and SC cars over the last 6 months and somehow yours when on sale escaped me, otherwise I would have snapped it at the price you probably bought it for.
'01 non SC NSX usually are for sale around $48-53K, if a low miles SC '01 comes for sale, it's asking price is usually around $58-65K

I recently bought a mint '98 red/tan SC NSX with only 23K mls (with just 1.8 K Mls on the full SC build, SC/headers/exhaust/clutch/toda belt) and I think at just under $50K, I got myself a reasonably good deal. :cool:

you guys are all overlooking that NSXs in Canada cost way more than in other places.

Hell, they were asking $125k for my 02 when I bought it (not for $125k) December 2004 with 10k km on it.

In terms of CDN pricing, that 01 is not out of line.

"rarest and fastest NSX ever built" to me sounds an aweful lot like the seller claiming it is a special factory model. Then he confirms it with a "150,000 original cost" price and a "450 HP" figure. The seller obviously is either an idiot or thinks others looking at it will be. I mean at least get the word "Comptech" right... :rolleyes:

Karl the car may be nice anyway, but the seller is a dodo. The car realistically has 350 HP at the wheels, that is around 390 or so at the crank. It's a fast car but not as fast as the ad claims. It doesn't matter, the car is amazing to drive. There are no factory supercharged cars, but Comptech did have an agreement with Honda at one point and Comptech parts were sold through certain dealers. It's good quality stuff. I don't know how pricing is in Canada but you will have to find out about the car yourself... the seller knows nothing.

"rarest and fastest NSX ever built" to me sounds an aweful lot like the seller claiming it is a special factory model. Then he confirms it with a "150,000 original cost" price and a "450 HP" figure. The seller obviously is either an idiot or thinks others looking at it will be. I mean at least get the word "Comptech" right... :rolleyes:

Karl the car may be nice anyway, but the seller is a dodo. The car realistically has 350 HP at the wheels, that is around 390 or so at the crank. It's a fast car but not as fast as the ad claims. It doesn't matter, the car is amazing to drive. There are no factory supercharged cars, but Comptech did have an agreement with Honda at one point and Comptech parts were sold through certain dealers. It's good quality stuff. I don't know how pricing is in Canada but you will have to find out about the car yourself... the seller knows nothing.

That's the impression I'm starting to get. It "looks" good, but I'll certainly want some history on the car 1st.

As someone else mentioned, for a CDN car the price is pretty well on par.

The seller was talking about sub-4 0-60, 11.x 1/4 mile, etc. Having owned (and owning) some fast cars and driven lots of others, I know that the car would have to be putting down some phenomenial power to get results like that. I'm sure the car performs well, but I find it hard to accept those performance claims.

I know for $70k CDN I could pick up a decent Z06 with low mileage - and although the Z06 is one of the best bang-for-buck cars around (esp for track) it'd still be a 'vette and it seems everyone and their dog has one. This is why the NSX appeals to me as a replacement for my trashed '01 M Coupe - uniqueness and rarity.

Thanks, Karl

Karl, a 2001 NSX and an almost new Z06 are basically going for the same price... what does that tell you about depreciation on these two...

You shouldn't forget you have just been a lucky b@$trd:rolleyes: with your car
You got your car really cheap IMHO:eek:

I have been looking at NSX's in general and SC cars over the last 6 months and somehow yours when on sale escaped me, otherwise I would have snapped it at the price you probably bought it for.
'01 non SC NSX usually are for sale around $48-53K, if a low miles SC '01 comes for sale, it's asking price is usually around $58-65K

I recently bought a mint '98 red/tan SC NSX with only 23K mls (with just 1.8 K Mls on the full SC build, SC/headers/exhaust/clutch/toda belt) and I think at just under $50K, I got myself a reasonably good deal. :cool:

I like being a lucky b@$trd (thank you). However, your purchase and mine coupled with the higher milage makes this car too high Canadian or not IMHO.

I inquired on that car before I bought mine. It's been available for over 1 1/2 years. The owner hasn't got a clue. I started questioning them about the supercharger and they were so full of shit it wasn't funny. I would like to see the 450 hp dyno - I have a feeling all the performance figures are "butt dyno" numbers and not based upon reality.

Back