Votes: 11 24.4%
  • blue

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • black

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • chrome, silver, whatever it's called

Votes: 15 33.3%

• Total voters
Hey everyone. I need help with lug nuts. I figured I want something a little different, and something that saves weight. I searched and came up with a few options.

I want closed lug nuts and ones that are either red, black, or blue. I think my top choice is red, but I'd like blue to try something different if it's not horrible looking. I just have a few questions. My current setup is 17x8 in the front and 18x10 in the rear gunmetal volk gt-n's. I was thinking I need long or extended lug nuts? I don't know what I have on there now since they came with my car but if I remember correctly when I had them off, the lugs were an inch to a little over an inch long??? I'm sorry, I don't have the car with me right now so I can't really give any exact numbers. They are the same size though, and they are closed.

I was thinking Work Lug nuts found here.
http://twincamtech.stores.yahoo.net/worrsliglugn.html

Or, depending if they are the right size. I can't tell if they are extended or short.
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/twincamtech_1958_35672094

Or maybe some that dali offer? I only saw these though that I liked
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1211

Any opinions would be great. Here's a picture of my car before I got my carbon fiber nsx-r rep spoiler and shin chin front lip.

S24000031.JPG

The Work's look like the best ones although i can't really tell what the Ray's look like from that pic. I need to get some for the wheels i am buying. I would love to see the blue lugs on a gunmetal wheel because mine will be gunmetal. And i was thinking about blue lugs :wink: .

The Work's look like the best ones although i can't really tell what the Ray's look like from that pic. I need to get some for the wheels i am buying. I would love to see the blue lugs on a gunmetal wheel because mine will be gunmetal. And i was thinking about blue lugs :wink: .

Yes. You have a blue car though so that might be better than mine being blue. I don't know what I'm going to get.

Well, you have a red car, so I'd think blue would look really goofy, so that's right out.

I was thinking red would look goofy too, but then I was thinking that it might look pretty cool, too. That's my vote.

That car looks familar, did you buy it from a guy in jersey? Looks good:wink:

That car looks familar, did you buy it from a guy in jersey? Looks good:wink:

Yep. I bought it from a guy in Jersey. I think you knew one of the owners, he worked for an Acura dealer.

Not seen in that picture is a shine chin front lip, and a rear nsx-r rep spoiler. Soon to be a suspension mod once I save up enough cash, but serving in Philadelphia in the summer is pretty beat. Atlantic city is the place to go out in the summer.

Stephen

I voted black, cause I think the lug nuts detract from the looks of the wheel. Black seems to make them less noticable...Unless you really want to show off your nuts.:eek:

I had some forged alumi lugnuts before on my car, and it was total crap. I always tighten by hand and then torque to spec with a wrench, and somehow 2 months after I put them on, i pulled em off and 2 of them were already stripped. now i just use motegi or something.

if you want something cool, get the project KICS racing lugnuts. they're made of steel, less chance of stripping and they have some rotating piece at the bottom that helps them seat better and reduce chance of comming loose from vibration. gotta pay to play though, 240 bucks for a set of 20 ;)

How did you do that?

I taped off everything except the tip and spray painted them with Dupli-color Metalcast paint. It's a anodized looking paint that when used over chrome allows the light to still reflect, it's a translucent coloring. They turn darker blue with less light and lighter blue the more light on them. The paint works very good on small items, i even did my coolant tank cap and it turned out very nice. The key is to use a light coating because the more you put on, the more it looks like paint.

It's very easy to do but buy some ordinary paint remover in case you get it to heavy. It took me a couple of tries to get them perfect. I saw blue and red but there may be more colors available.

Here is the coolant tank cap.

8e8c29ae.jpg

Thanks David,
It's been over 4 months and they still look perfect but if they were to flake you could just use paint remover and redo them. The paint is made for chrome so it sticks pretty good to the lugs, unlike the original coating the Motegi lugs came with. When i got them they were completely blue but the paint was flaking. I removed the factory coating and just painted the tips.

Thanks for the painting tips. I'm doing mine in Red tips. How much do you sand down on the tips with 400 Grit sand paper? Is there an easier way than by hand?

How many coats of the clear coat adhesive?

Thanks for the painting tips. I'm doing mine in Red tips. How much do you sand down on the tips with 400 Grit sand paper? Is there an easier way than by hand?

I'd like to know this as well because I still have yet to buy any, so I figure why not buy another set of chrome, color the tips blue, and then if I don't like them, try red, and if I still don't, try black.

Stephen

Hey guys,

The paint is made for chrome and you can see the chrome through the paint so you don't sand, just make sure they are completely clean before applying the paint. Use only 1 even medium coat (not to light or heavy), the more you use the darker and less transparent they will be. When you first spray them it will look like you may have gotten the coat to heavy but as it dries it will become more transparent. Practice on a couple to get the end result that you want, it's easy to remove. The hardest part is getting them the same shade of color which is why i had to redo a few of them so they would all match. All 20 don't have to be an exact match, just close. Only 5 are on a wheel so sets of 5 need to be close in color, you can't tell a slight difference in the shade of color between different wheels. I painted all of mine and when they were dry i separated them in to sets of 5 with the closest match.

I used electrical tape because it stretches leaving the edge tight all the way around the lug nut. Below is a pic of one of my oem lug nuts that i taped for an example. Ware a latex glove and hold each one like in the picture while you paint it so you can turn it as you coat. You need to do one at a time.

When using the remover keep something like a coffee can full of water. Remove the tape, spray the remover on and once the paint bubbles drop the lug nut in the water. You can then just wipe off the paint, dry it and try again. I used a 2x4 with nails sticking up to put the lug nuts on when spraying the remover on them.

I believe i purchased the paint and remover at autozone.

1584f634.jpg

So you don't need to sand at all and you don't need any paint adhesive or primer? That sounds much better, although I did sand a few of my lugs already.
I also used an adhesive clear coat paint on one to try out. OOOPS!

I bought some gorillas lug nuts only 29.00 for the complete set, so if I mess it up it won't hurt so bad.

Update: I just complete a set of red tips and they looks great. 1 good coat was all it took.

Last edited:
So you don't need to sand at all and you don't need any paint adhesive or primer? That sounds much better, although I did sand a few of my lugs already.
I also used an adhesive clear coat paint on one to try out. OOOPS!

I bought some gorillas lug nuts only 29.00 for the complete set, so if I mess it up it won't hurt so bad.

Update: I just complete a set of red tips and they looks great. 1 good coat was all it took.

Cool, post some pics :wink: .

Back