• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Porter Cable or Griot's Garage buffer?

jorma said:
I want to buy a new random orbital buffer, I'd like some professional opinions about the Griot's Garage buffer http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1004&SKU=10925

verses the Porter Cable model 7424?

I'll chime in with a couple of points that I see. The Griots buffer has a propriatary backing plate which does support 6.5" pads which is typically the standard, but if you like to change the backing plate to support 5" or 3.5" or any other size pad you are stuck. The Griots buffer uses 4 screws to install the backing plate where the PC uses one centered screw. This allows you to pick and choose the size of the backing plate and tailor it to your detailing needs. It also gives you the ability to use something like the Edge Pad System which has 2 sided pads with built in backing plates in each pad. Major flaw? Probably not to most users, but if you wanted different sized pads it can be.

Griots does offer a lifetime warranty on defects which is a positive for them. PC warranties are 1 year, however I can vouch for them being a work horse of a buffer.

Here's a link to 6 pages of discussion about the Griots's and PC

Discussion on Autopia

I personally find it funny that they promote:

Griot's Website said:
...an internal fan to cool off the backing plate (thus, no heat build-up in our pad, or on your paint)

When one of the major benefits of a buffer is to generate heat. Without heat, polishes can't break down effectively and do the job they are designed to do. For glazes, sealants and waxes this is fine, but for paint correction some heat is necessary.

That's just a few things I could dig up. If you'd like me to go in more depth with anything just say the word. Bottom line, I don't think you'll go wrong with either one, both are quality units. If you end up interested in a PC let me know and I'll put together a package for you.

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image

My question is if their buffer and product combination really delivers on its apparent promise? My car is in about average paint condition, and I want it to look new again. Before I spend a lot of money on buffers and products, I want to make sure they actually perform as advertised. Has anyone actually used this combination on here and can vouch for the results of the full package?

I'm new to detailing and everything so you can take this advice, or throw it out the window, but I found the PC very easy to use. I ordered off of the detailed image site and got the max kit with like 4 pads and vecro changing plate and it works great. I never used a Griot buffer before though.

My question is if their buffer and product combination really delivers on its apparent promise? My car is in about average paint condition, and I want it to look new again. Before I spend a lot of money on buffers and products, I want to make sure they actually perform as advertised. Has anyone actually used this combination on here and can vouch for the results of the full package?

I have used the Griots buffer and their products. I started with the their clay and level 3 polish and it came out great. It took out all the swil marks in my paint. I did not like their Best of Show Wax. Maybe I did something wrong but it was hard to get off. I ended up finishing with Blitz Wax. I am happy with their buffer and polishing chemicals.

Mitch,
HERE is a good article to get you started on your detail :biggrin:

The current Griot catalogue has a new 6" buffer rated at 7 amps, 2500-6800rpm. Anyone have any experience with this new product vs pc 7424xp?

Flex is a bit pricey, only a year guarantee. They have been having some problems with backplate and overheating. Some complaints about customer service and replacing or repair.

I'm a Griot's man all the way...and no endorsement money either.

I bought the 6" random and now find I also need the 3" random for small hard to get at areas. I was lucky to get first hand experience with the Griot's team when they used my car in a tech session. Although my paint is like new, (91 w/6K miles) there are a lot of scratches from an amateur prep job at the dealership and subsequent cleanings. The Griot system is designed for non-professional use so you really can't make a mistake. If you follow their directions and take your time, the finish will look like glass. The secret is patience.

Flex is a bit pricey, only a year guarantee. They have been having some problems with backplate and overheating. Some complaints about customer service and replacing or repair.

Do you have links to where you heard this? How long is the PC's warranty by comparison? I'm about to pull the trigger on the flex 3401, I've been wanting to forever and spring is just about here.

I googled flex and found several complaints.
I also emailed griot as to who manufactures their current buffer. They said it was proprietary and would not give me the info.

I will probably order griots buffer as they offer a lifetime warranty.

I was using Makita's for years and they used to be great but they have gone downhill in the past three years. I have four junk Makitas on top of my tool box all about 2-3 years old or LESS.
A couple of my olds Makitas (7+years) are still going strong, Change brushes a switch, a cord or a rheostat and they are good for another year or two of constant use.

I have a Flex that's about 6 months old, used all day long,is smooth as silk and feels great in your hands. I'll see how it holds up. My vendors says he's had great results with them. Right now it's the best feeling machine I've had and I've had dozens of buffers.

I have a Porter cable at home. A cheap buffer, nice for occasional use playing with wax but it's really not up to the task of all day work and has poor ergonomics. I've never dropped it but it sure looks like it would be easy to do and you don't want that bouncing off your hood. Hard to change speed on the fly. I'd never buy another.

Last edited:
+1 for Flex!

I did hear about some complaints of earlier models (when they first were introduced in the U.S.) but Flex did correct this issue.

+1 for Flex!

I did hear about some complaints of earlier models (when they first were introduced in the U.S.) but Flex did correct this issue.

I just bought it from chemicalguys with a set of pads for ~$300 (enter promo code "gold" for extra 5% off), I hope it hasn't been sitting on the shelf! I'm excited to get it and already feel relieved that I don't have to ride the PC/Flex teeter totter anymore. I'll let you guys know if it's all it's cracked up to be...

http://www.chemicalguys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BUF_101.3KIT&CartID=1

Back