Autovation Pedals Install

I just installed Autovation pedals. I am happy with the end result. It's easier to heel toe shift.

Just a heads up to anyone considering this, the 30 min estimate on the install guide is BS... it must be for cars with the holes pre-drilled. You will also need either a very compact drill, or a right angle drill (especially for the brake pedal).
I found that home depot sells a right angle attachment for just about any regular drill for $29, I found it just as I was about to spend $120 on a drill I would probably only use once. Its still tight, even with the right angle attachment. You may want to fire up the car so you can press the brake pedal down further for a bit more room.

I assume you had not read my DIY write up in NSXDriver:). It takes me about 1 hour for this with a right angle drill. I estimated for a first timer with the correct drill it would take 2 hours. I have installed about 6 sets.

Regards,
LarryB

No I didn't, I kind of wish I had :) It took me about two hours not including the time spent going to home depot.

It took me 2 hours with an assistant and no right angle drill (just a 2x4 to hold the pedals down). :biggrin:

I don't feel like the pedals make a huge difference in heal-toe shifts, but it is noticeably easier. For me, the biggest difference would be if the accelerator was moved forward about 1/4".

It took me about 2 hours too. Pain in the rear..but happy with the results. If I could do it again..I might reconsider. It is a really tight space to work in there.

redshift said:
For me, the biggest difference would be if the accelerator was moved forward about 1/4".

If I understand your ciomment correctly, on page 19-4 of the service manual it shows how you can adjust your brake pedal height. Just lower it, which would be a same as moving the accelerator forward:).

HTH,
LarryB

Larry,

I read your article and thought it was VERY thorough and helpful. I wish there were more illustrated articles as easy to follow as yours.

I actually found a right angle drill at Pep Boys for $39.95 that worked great. The only thing I did different was to bolt the gas pedal through the plastic slip-on to make it 1/4"-1/2" higher, which helped make the gas pedal the same height as the brake pedal.

Hi SKB NSX,

Thanks for your compliment. I agree it is very important to get the pedal height as you need. Good idea to leave the plastic is you are comfortable that way. I have done 7 installations and have not been asked about raising the pedal, but what works for the driver is important.

FYI, the next NSXDriver, in March, will be a "DIY" special. Sounds like you will enjoy it:).

Regards,
LarryB

SKB NSX said:
Larry,

I read your article and thought it was VERY thorough and helpful. I wish there were more illustrated articles as easy to follow as yours.

I actually found a right angle drill at Pep Boys for $39.95 that worked great. The only thing I did different was to bolt the gas pedal through the plastic slip-on to make it 1/4"-1/2" higher, which helped make the gas pedal the same height as the brake pedal.
I left the plastic slip on the gas pedal too, but I'm thinking of putting in 1/4" spacers. Any thoughts?

Larry,

I look forward to the next issue ; I'm sure it will be helpful. After receiving both Subaru's (my old STi) and BMW's (M3's/M5's), NSXDriver is on par with the Porsche mag I used to receive. I was actually thinking of submitting an article about entering NASA HPDE1 in a stock NSX and proceeding through 2,3,4 and TT and the mods I did to the car along the way. Might be helpful for people thinking about getting onto the track from a relative beginner's viewpoint?

Redshift, I wouldn't be afraid to put in spacers if that's helpful to your heel/toeing. It would be very simple, as long as it's bolted through the metal properly.

We are always looking for article submissions. We would welcome your contribution. You can e-mail me at [email protected] for details. Also if you submit an articlel and it gets published (which it will:)) The NSX Club of America does offer compensation for that:). You can e-mail me for details, since I have them at home.

Thanks,
LarryB

SKB NSX said:
Redshift, I wouldn't be afraid to put in spacers if that's helpful to your heel/toeing. It would be very simple, as long as it's bolted through the metal properly.
Cool, I thought it would be fine. My only concern would be a shoelace getting wrapped around a spacer or something, but I doubt it would happen. Thanks, I'll put in some spacers one of these weekends. :smile:

Everyone has a Dremel. If not they should. Dremel makes this......

dremel-right-angle-DRM-575.jpg

Back