• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can bolt pattern be altered???

Hi guys,
There is a cast aluminum wheel that I like and would look good on the NSX IMO. However, it only comes in 5/112 pattern. I know I should just give up on it. But for knowledge sake, is altering bolt pattern something that a wheel repair place can do? In other words, can they fill in the holes and mill the correct 5/114.5?
Steve

Hmmm...

I've never heard of a 5x112 bolt pattern. Is it possible that they made a mistake, and the wheels are really a 5x114.3 bolt pattern?

Remember, bolt patterns are usually round numbers, they don't just pull them out of thin air. (114.3 mm for the diameter of the bolt centers may not sound like a round number - no pun intended - until you realize that it's the same thing as 4.5 inches.)

nsxtasy said:
Hmmm...

I've never heard of a 5x112 bolt pattern. Is it possible that they made a mistake, and the wheels are really a 5x114.3 bolt pattern?

Remember, bolt patterns are usually round numbers, they don't just pull them out of thin air. (114.3 mm for the diameter of the bolt centers may not sound like a round number - no pun intended - until you realize that it's the same thing as 4.5 inches.)
The Mercedes uses 5/112 pattern.
Steve

so does Audi

There are hub adapters, BUT they are expensive, and the wheels will need to be a very high offset, because the hub adapter needs about 20mm of room.

Filling and re-drilling, would NOT be reccomended.

Post a pic of the wheel, maybe we can find a similar wheel that will actually fit.

It can be done... I have a friend who has done the same thing with a set of BBS wheels. I don't remember the original offset, but it was changed to 5x114.5. This is not an inexpensive process to have done. If I were you I would do alot of research on wheel repair shops who have done this type of service. One question I would be asking myself is, are all aftermarket or OEM wheels capable of changing the bolt pattern?

Hopefully, Mr Hartanto will read this thread, he may know of a highly reputable shop who offer the service you are inquiring about.

Good luck...

Mike

MikeC_587 said:
It can be done... I have a friend who has done the same thing with a set of BBS wheels. I don't remember the original offset, but it was changed to 5x114.5. This is not an inexpensive process to have done. If I were you I would do alot of research on wheel repair shops who have done this type of service. One question I would be asking myself is, are all aftermarket or OEM wheels capable of changing the bolt pattern?

Hopefully, Mr Hartanto will read this thread, he may know of a highly reputable shop who offer the service you are inquiring about.

Good luck...

Mike

If you are talking about the person I think you are, I think his BBS rims were originally 5X120, and it was filled/welded in and changed to 5X114.3 as well as the offset changed. This was done at a wheel shop and while many don't recomend it it seems to be holding up fine for many years now. I do believe he only uses it on his daily driver, so I'm not sure how it would hold up for track use.

The safer way to do it is to remove the hubs and have them, along with the rotors, re-drilled to fit the wheels. This is a PIA, but not particularly unsafe. Redrilled wheels OTOH I would never trust. When redrilling hubs, don't weld up the old holes and re-drill them. Rather, offset the new pattern in relation to the old pattern, so that you have 10 holes in the hub now instead of 5.

Re-drilling hubs is common on oddball cars. A lot of Fiats (4x98) Yugos (also 4x98) and early Civics (4x120) have been redrilled for 4x100. As long as the hub is redrilled I'm OK with it.

5x114.3 is so common though, that it's hard to believe that there is a wheel that can't be had in it. If the wheels you want are aftermarket, then you can probably pay a custom charge and have the wheels drilled the proper pattern at the factory.

MikeC_587 said:
It can be done... I have a friend who has done the same thing with a set of BBS wheels. I don't remember the original offset, but it was changed to 5x114.5. This is not an inexpensive process to have done.
I'm curious, did the wheels originally have steel inserts in each bolt hole (as do, for example, OEM NSX wheels)? If so, do you know if the new holes got new steel inserts as well?

The safer way to do it is to remove the hubs and have them, along with the rotors, re-drilled to fit the wheels. This is a PIA, but not particularly unsafe. Redrilled wheels OTOH I would never trust. When redrilling hubs, don't weld up the old holes and re-drill them. Rather, offset the new pattern in relation to the old pattern, so that you have 10 holes in the hub now instead of 5.

Re-drilling hubs is common on oddball cars. A lot of Fiats (4x98) Yugos (also 4x98) and early Civics (4x120) have been redrilled for 4x100. As long as the hub is redrilled I'm OK with it.
Reviving this old thread, since I'm havin' the same thoughts. :biggrin:

I cant get these BMW wheels out of my head that I've found. Wheel offsets are good but will be messed up with a spacer conversion so this seems like the best option to make them fit.

Has anyone any experience regarding re-drilled hubs and rotors, on the NSX or any other car?

Greatings all. Sorry to but into your forum, but I am researching rear axle and front hub replacements for my Volvo 1800 and I stumbled onto your fourm. If you want to change your hub and axle bolt patterns, don't do what I did 25 years ago. I took them down to the local machine shop to have bolt pattern changed from 5x4.25" to 5x4.5". The flanges had to be welded bigger for enough meat and the lug holes had to be welded up and redrilled in the same place because of socket access holes in the axles prevented just moving the holes to a new location.

Moving the lugs just .125" they wound up .10" out of round and the sholder style lugs had to be machined .10" diameter smaller to fit the wheels.

Moser Engineering is a choise for bolt pattern changes:

http://www.moserengineering.com/Pages/Shop-Services/shopservices.html

As is Dutchman Motorsports:

http://www.dutchmanms.com/pricesheet.html#Anchor-65144

Hope this helps out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc

Volvo%201800%206%20Cylinder

the easiest and safest way to do it is to machine the original holes larger and manufacture inserts with offset center to be installed into the now-larger holes in the wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, the big wheel shops (DAZZ, Wheel Warehouse, etc) have done the bolt pattern change countless times. They say it's safe, haven't had issues (at least none that they're saying), and is done right if you let them do it (I'm sure they out source it).

I'd consider giving them a call and asking more info to find out if it's right for you or not.

YES many wheel companies change bolt pattern by machining / pressing inserts in , the inserts are commercially available , I have had several sets done , even the ones on my car now! if you need help , a friend of mine owns a wheel repair shop and can do it pretty inexpensively / quick turnaround

Hmmm...

I guess you only "know it all" when it comes to tires huh?

if the wheel has a low pad/high offset (wheel tucking in) i can make a custom hubcentric spacer with new studs to accomodate the new wheel and proper lug pattern on the spindle side.

its basically a spacer with 2 bolt patterns. 15mm min is required.
thats if you have enough space for pushing the wheel out another 15mm and not pass the fenders.

whoops, RP beat me to it.

Back