aftermarket steering wheel legal?

how do you guys pass smog with your aftermarket wheels? don't you need the air bag to pass or is that just CA? do you put it back to stock? is there an aftermarket wheel with an airbag? :confused:

all my cars have aftermarket steering wheel. I never had a problem having my car pass visual inspection for smog.

I didnt know its a requirement to keep the airbag for smog.

According to a cop friend of mine, it is illegal to modify anything that is part of any OEM SRS system.... While most cops would not really care about it, it is one of those things that they would tack on to another offense if they felt it was appropriate..

I guess a close example would be a no front plate violation.. most cops don't bother with it but will mention it if you're pulled over for something else.

From what I remember, the owner of the vehicle may remove the airbag but may not do any modifcations/alterations to it... (ie. manually disabling the SRS)

my friend took his accord to a BAR testing place to smog for a fix-it ticket. they wouldn't even test it because of an aftermarket steering wheel (93 accords have air bags). they told him to put back the stock wheel and come back. maybe it's just the BAR testing people. punks!

While the steering wheel doesn't seem to be illegal: removing the air bag appears to be a Federal crime.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/airbags/airbgQandA.html

And they are starting to hand out fines too.

Personally, I am worried about liablity more than personal injury.

I can see the writing on the wall: About 20 years ago the seat belt kick started where your car was required to have seat belts if it came with them, and you were requried to wear them.

The cities and counties are unable to pay for emergency hospital care as it is and air bags just about reduce any potential injury to abrasions (and whiplash). Neither of which required emergency care and besides: the extra citation revenue is an added bonus.

Drew

drew said:
While the steering wheel doesn't seem to be illegal: removing the air bag appears to be a Federal crime.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/airbags/airbgQandA.html

And they are starting to hand out fines too.

Personally, I am worried about liablity more than personal injury.

I can see the writing on the wall: About 20 years ago the seat belt kick started where your car was required to have seat belts if it came with them, and you were requried to wear them.

The cities and counties are unable to pay for emergency hospital care as it is and air bags just about reduce any potential injury to abrasions (and whiplash). Neither of which required emergency care and besides: the extra citation revenue is an added bonus.

Drew
the article only states modifying/altering the airbag with an on and off switch... nothing about the removal of the steering wheel and airbag...

So you believe that removal is materially different that disconnection???

I suppose it is _possible_ to remove an air bag WITHOUT disconnecting it...is that how you interpret it??? Good luck in court.

NHTSA Quote:
Under what circumstances will NHTSA allow air bag deactivation? If the vehicle manufacturer does not make an on-off switch available for a particular vehicle, NHTSA will authorize deactivation for the following reasons:

Drew

well.. i'm not 100% on this either... I having seen anything that clearly states on any legalities on the removal of the airbag/steering wheel...

ajnsx said:
Interesting question. I wondering how the type r fairs considering the momo steering wheel is standard?

there's no NSX-R nor Type S-zero in US market... thus all nsx supposed to have the airbag equipped steering wheel... :frown: Don't know what will Ken say, IMO the stock nsx steering wheel is a little too big and obtrusive...

If I recall corrently, the show Pimp My Ride got fined a pretty large amount for removing the airbag out of a car and putting in a TV where the airbag went.

From what ive heard i dont think it is illegal, but if you were to wreck your car or something and had taken out your airbag to put a steering wheel in, ive heard that insurance wont cover anything. So i think it is more of an insurance problem that i would worry about.

NSXDreamer2 said:
Don't know what will Ken say, IMO the stock nsx steering wheel is a little too big and obtrusive...
I think it's just fine. OTOH, I've driven a friend's NSX with a Momo steering wheel on the track, and it was so tiny, it reminded me of a toy steering wheel made for a cheap video game...

Back