91 - 92 Snap ring trans - How many?

How many people still have the original transmission in the snap range are still working? Please also post your mileage and your tran. number.

I apologize if this has been polled before. I just want to get a feel how wide spread is the problem for trans. in that range.

Thank you. :)

Last edited:
I think the major problem with the poll is that only a small percentage of nsx owners routinely browse this site.

If you are considering or own a NSX in the snap ring range it's probably a good idea to sock away the money to have the repair done. But who knows, not every tranny in the range will fail.

The snap ring failure is a fairly common problem for transmissions in the snap ring range. Does that mean that the percentage that will fail is 10 percent, vs 50 percent? I don't know. But we've heard enough reports that it's a significant percentage. And we also know that it can fail at any mileage; some have failed at under 10K miles and others at over 100K miles. So that is the answers to your question, and you are unlikely to find out anything different from a poll on NSXprime.

I really think this obsession over the snap ring is WAY overblown. If I were considering buying a car in the snap ring range, here's what I would do. I would negotiate a buying price that is ~$1500 less than that of a similar car that is not in the snap ring range or that has had the snap ring and transmission case fixed. I would know that I could incur a $2K repair at any time (which is true of any early NSX, since clutches and A/C can fail as well) so I would keep that amount set aside, just in case. I would become familiar with the symptoms of snap ring failure (loose shift knob, etc) so that I would stop driving the car if and when it happened and have it repaired immediately. And beyond that, I would just drive it and enjoy it! If and when the car needed transmission service for some other reason (clutch replacement, gear mods, crunching on the 2==>3 upshift, etc), I would have the snap ring and upper transmission case replaced at the same time. Besides all of that, I would just drive it and not worry about it. Very simple.

If the prospect of a $2K repair is making you reconsider whether or not to buy an NSX, you should probably not be buying one in the first place.

nsxtasy said:
If the prospect of a $2K repair is making you reconsider whether or not to buy an NSX, you should probably not be buying one in the first place. [/B]

Very well put... I get tired of the second question coming out of everyone's mouth is "is it in snap ring range?" :o

Great advice from Ken. Speaking from my own experience, I purchased the car at 43k miles and in snap ring range. It failed at 49k about a year after my purchase. 2 methods to take care of it, as there was a great write up by Mark Basch somewhere on this forum.

You either do it as preventive measure, or a repair. The issue is timing. If you are looking to open up the transmission case, or any clutch work (R&P, short gear), then you save some labor cost by replacing the defective casing simultaneously.

Or, you can just wait until it happens, and get it repaired. I was waiting for a 'preventive' timeframe to get mine taken care of, however, it didn't work out that way. The repair runs ~1500 parts and labor, then add on if you need new clutch ~1500, or other mods..etc.

Last edited:
squid2004 said:
Very well put... I get tired of the second question coming out of everyone's mouth is "is it in snap ring range?" :o

I don't think the question itself is bad as any potential buyer would like to know if he should keep an eye out for a broken snap ring sometime down the road. It is when people make a snap ring range car out to be a worthless car that you should avoid that sometimes can get tiresome. I bought my 92 that was in snap ring range and in fact it did fail on the previous owner who then had it properly fixed with a new case and had the NSX-R gears put in at the same time. In my case the snap ring problem was a non issue and actually became a worthwhile car for me.

My transmission is in the snap ring range and it is still running fine. It is a 92 RHD with 45000miles...............i guess i should save some money for it.

I want to thank you all for the valuable opinions.

I am looking at a 92, 5 sp (in snap range), 60K miles. The car is in good condition with no body damage, paint is good, drive nice, air cond. works. 60K service is done, but time belt has not been replaced. One of the speakers does not work. There may be a leak on either the brake or clutch cylinders as one of the fluid reservoirs is low(one closest to the front of the car and it is not the radiator) and there is a oil film on the bottom of the oil pan, but no drops. It has 17/18 wheels set up, but tires will need to be replaced in about 2K miles. He is the third owner since 99 and does not have any service record before 99. I called Acura to see if they have any warranty records for the trans. and nothing shows up in the database.

He wants $21K. Do you think that is a good price?

Thanks again for you help. ;)

$21K sounds like a low price, but this is clearly a car that has been very poorly maintained (I say that because of the 12-year-old timing belt, not the snap ring), so it's difficult to assess a price.

The worse the maintenance and/or documentation, the more important the need for the Carfax...

my 92 is in snap ring range and from what I hear sometimes they never break.ive driven about 50 nsx's and my trans feels as good as any! 33k miles and still going strong..

I am a little surprised at the low price - even with the issues you mention.

No offence - but are you confident you would be able to spot missing parts or paint/body repairs?

Are you sure it drives well for an early coupe?

I would - in order:

- Get a car fax

- Find or make friends with people who have both owned and been part of the NSXCA for a while and have them check it out with you

- Get a contract / deposit on the car where you agree on the price, problems, and process going forward and what are acceptable ways for him or you to back out of the deal without owing the other one anything

- Have it thoroughly inspected by a trusted mechanic on a lift for any type of body or frame damage

- Get a quote for the repairs and obvious maintenance issues the mechanic finds

- If everything checks out, buy it, fix it, and enjoy it!

:)

nsxtasy said:
I really think this obsession over the snap ring is WAY overblown.

Of course it is... and the specialized press just keep on perpetuating the issue to any NSX independently even of year ! It seems it has become a myth that NSX's transmissions are the weakest links. :rolleyes:

I explain it this way: In order to make an article believable and keep their credibility, reporters have to find a negative point about any car. What is there to write about when everything else is so darn perfect with these cars ? The transmission it is then...:rolleyes:

oh, yes. 85K and still shifts smoothly and precisely like no other manual tranny I ever used before... (crossing fingers)

nsxtasy said:
$21K sounds like a low price, but this is clearly a car that has been very poorly maintained (I say that because of the 12-year-old timing belt, not the snap ring), so it's difficult to assess a price.

The worse the maintenance and/or documentation, the more important the need for the Carfax...

He did the 60K service when it was around 53K, but was told TB was not needed by the dealer. He drove very few miles throughout the years and he used synthetic oil. Saw it again tonight and there is no sign of body work. The car is very clean under the engine compartment,except oil film on the pan. Maybe there a very minor leak somewhere. I will definitely get a carfax. I guess it would show if there was major accidents?

Thanks.:)

In regard to the oil film on the pan it is one of three things:

Cam Plugs
VTEC seals
Oil Pan Gasket

(these are not ranked in any probability order)

If you purchase the car and have the t-belt done, just replace these three items and you will be good to go for a long time.

HTH,
LarryB

matteni said:
I am a little surprised at the low price - even with the issues you mention.

No offence - but are you confident you would be able to spot missing parts or paint/body repairs?

Are you sure it drives well for an early coupe?

I would - in order:

- Get a car fax

- Find or make friends with people who have both owned and been part of the NSXCA for a while and have them check it out with you

- Get a contract / deposit on the car where you agree on the price, problems, and process going forward and what are acceptable ways for him or you to back out of the deal without owing the other one anything

- Have it thoroughly inspected by a trusted mechanic on a lift for any type of body or frame damage

- Get a quote for the repairs and obvious maintenance issues the mechanic finds

- If everything checks out, buy it, fix it, and enjoy it!

:)
This is great advice. Oh, and that inspection should be not just a "trusted mechanic", but one with a lot of NSX experience. Or, one with extensive body repair experience. Preferably both.

nis350 said:
He did the 60K service when it was around 53K, but was told TB was not needed by the dealer.
Either he is lying, or his dealer is incompetent.

nis350 said:
I will definitely get a carfax. I guess it would show if there was major accidents?
Not necessarily. A Carfax will usually (not always, but usually) show if there was an accident major enough for the car to be totalled, and a salvage title issued. It will sometimes (but often not) show if there was an accident in which a police report was filed. It will rarely if ever show if there was an accident in which no police report was filed.

Larry Bastanza said:
In regard to the oil film on the pan it is one of three things:

Cam Plugs
VTEC seals
Oil Pan Gasket

(these are not ranked in any probability order)

If you purchase the car and have the t-belt done, just replace these three items and you will be good to go for a long time.

HTH,
LarryB

That is a good idea. About how much does it cost to replace these items during TB replacement?

If it hasn't been done already, what Ken said earlier in this post should be made a sticky and put into the FAQ. My 92 has 14k miles and is in snap ring range, but my shifter is rock solid. When looking at this car a while back, I wasn't concerned about the car being in snap ring range. I figured that if it showed signs of going out then I'd shut it down and replace the upper tranny case and snap ring which would give me a perfect chance to do gear, pinon and clutch mods.

I really think this obsession over the snap ring is WAY overblown. If I were considering buying a car in the snap ring range, here's what I would do. I would negotiate a buying price that is ~$1500 less than that of a similar car that is not in the snap ring range or that has had the snap ring and transmission case fixed. I would know that I could incur a $2K repair at any time (which is true of any early NSX, since clutches and A/C can fail as well) so I would keep that amount set aside, just in case. I would become familiar with the symptoms of snap ring failure (loose shift knob, etc) so that I would stop driving the car if and when it happened and have it repaired immediately. And beyond that, I would just drive it and enjoy it! If and when the car needed transmission service for some other reason (clutch replacement, gear mods, crunching on the 2==>3 upshift, etc), I would have the snap ring and upper transmission case replaced at the same time. Besides all of that, I would just drive it and not worry about it. Very simple.

Back