VIN number on hood, trunk lid?

Is the VIN number supposed to be on the hood or trunk lid?

I just bought a 95 NSX-T recently and neither the hood or trunk lid has the VIN #. Reason I'm asking is I own a Legend that was stolen and the trunk lid and the hood has the VIN # so when the Mexican thieves stole it, they scratched it out. Having the vin # on these parts would give you an indication that the car was rebuilt or stolen. Just wondering.

Thanks. I already know that the vin is there and also on the inner body of the car when you open the door next to the tire info sticker. Just surprised that the vin wasn't on the trunk lid or hood like my Legend or other cars so you can tell if the parts are original or not.

I have small VIN stickers on the hood and trunk. Mine is a year 2000.

There are some locations where the VIN is stamped/etched on the car parts, that are shown in the service manual (but those pages are omitted from the version of the service manual on this website - perhaps as a theft deterrent?).

There are also some locations where the VIN is stamped/etched that are out of view and not disclosed in the service manual. These are to assist law enforcement in discovering theft and fraud.

I don't know offhand whether any of those locations are on the hood or trunk lid.

Just wondering because whites, blacks, asians, etc. steal cars too, not just Mexicans.

I didn't mean to sound racist, just stating the facts. There are all kinds of good and bad people in all races.

It was a ring of Mexican thieves which owned a body shop where they disassemble the stolen car. They only steal the Legends at the time. They would steal one car, stripped off everything except the engine and frame and put the parts on another Legend that they had stolen previously. Then they would leave the engine and frame on some street. After the police recovered what remained of the car, it would be sold to the salvage yard and they would go there and buy it with a clean title. Then they would go and steal another Legend and repeat the process.

The San Jose police had been following them for about a year and was just waiting to catch them with a stolen Legend in the shop. My car happened to be the one. The shop owner managed to flee back to Mexico. The guy who stole my car was caught and I was at his trial. He got only 6 months in jail. His lawyer had the disassembled parts of my car brought to me in a truck and I spent 3 months putting the whole car back like a plastic model!

I hear that it's very simple for a car theif to write down your VIN# that shows through the windshield, then go down to the Honda dealer and have a spare key made to match that VIN#.

If that's the case how many here have taped over their VIN# with black electrician's tape like I have just as a security precaution from not getting your car broken into with an identically matched key?

Nimbus is correct

svalleynsx said:
I hear that it's very simple for a car theif to write down your VIN# that shows through the windshield, then go down to the Honda dealer and have a spare key made to match that VIN#.
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/vin.asp

It can be done, this is not the way most car thieves typically operate (recording VIN, forging documents, going to dealer, waiting, etc).

svalleynsx said:
If that's the case how many here have taped over their VIN# with black electrician's tape
Good idea, but may not be legal in some states, according to the link above.

Hmmm...I don't mean to sound paranoid, but after reading the article it seems owners should be even more on the defensive.

As the article explains, not all states may consider covering a dashboard VIN a violation, also it seems not all dealers require proof of registration or waiting time for duplicate keys as was the case for that particular person.

It does make sense though that most car thieves wouldn't go that route breaking in when there are faster, although more damaging ways to do it. You never can tell though, and it's far better to be safe than sorry imo. Just gives me a little more comfort at night knowing the VIN is blocked form unwanted eyes since the car is habitually parked in one place most of the time.

Nimbus said:
Your 95-T won't have any VIN stickers on the hood and trunk

When I bought my '97, I noticed that there were no VIN stickers on individual body panels, unlike nearly every other production car. However, I was looking at an '02 recently at a dealer just for grins, and it had individual VIN stickers on each body panel (hood, trunk, both doors, etc.). Hey Nimbus, you're knowledgable on this subject. What year did they start doing this and why not at the beginning?

Am I missing something in this thread?

I would assume that the majority of NSX's out there have car alarms, so that getting a key is only half the battle.

Granted, experienced car thieves know how to get at car alarms too, but it's not quite as simple as getting a key, and driving off.

George

nkb said:
Am I missing something in this thread?

I would assume that the majority of NSX's out there have car alarms, so that getting a key is only half the battle...

George

Definitely true. I'll give my key to anyone on this board to see if they can start my car. I gaurantee that no one will be able to figure out the sequence of steps required to start it. That is also the reason why I never have a problem giving my key to the valet after I park my car in front of a resturant. I always laugh when they see me get in start it right up. The amazed look on their face is worth the $10 tip.

It's a big assumption to think every owner on this board has a custom car alarm over the stock one. The stock alarm is triggered by forceful entry only if I'm not mistaken. If somehow a duplicate key was to be had, then certainly it would be no problem driving off undetected with it would it not? Pardon my poor knowledge of car security devices, I've just always lived in places where car break-ins are not an everyday occurrence or that big of a problem. It does concern me now that I own something of value:)

You're right, that was a big assumption on my part.

Based on what I found doing a search, the factory alarm is very basic. I was assuming that a car of NSX caliber would have something a little nicer.

I'm seeing seemingly contradictory statements about what the factory alarm actually does. Can someone clarify?

1. To disarm, does it only take unlocking the car door?
2. Does it have an ignition kill?
3. Does it have any kind of self-arming feature?

I bought a Clifford alarm many years ago for my Mustang (if I remember correctly, it was about $425 installed). It has all the neat features like remote entry, valet mode, ignition kill, auto arm, etc.
Back then, my Mustang was actually high on the theft list, so it made sense to buy a decent alarm. Nowadays, I feel silly arming it, because thieves might not take it if I leave it running. :)

Back