• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Walt's "bout time you got an NSX" refresh build

Background (tl;dr: I got really lucky...)
Well...it finally happened. I have been lurking for almost 6 years and truthfully when I saw the prices spike around 4 years ago I had pretty much given up on the thought of owning an NSX. I started looking at the C-63 AMG and the Lexus RC F. I tried to forget about this car but no matter what car I looked at, I couldn't shake the childhood obsession. So with that I put up a hail-mary WTB ad and didn't expect much. Much to my surprise, I received about ten messages, some in my budget some not, some needing more work than others, and some having a great price but a compromise somewhere.

But there was one car that stood out among the rest and with the list of things the previous owner had done and the price, it didn't even seem realistic. I was wary the entire time but decided that if this was the real deal this was as close as I ever was going to get to a mostly sorted out NSX. So with a flight to Iowa and a drive back to Maryland. I am now the proud owner of a 91 NSX.

I am taking it to the NSX whisperer in the morning and will update the thread more tomorrow with more pics and my plans for the future but I just wanted to put up a quick post for the ones that were waiting on an update. For now I need sleep...it's been a long (but fun) drive.

IMG_20180810_201829.jpg

Resized_20180806_200455_6657.jpg

it looks beautiful. Congrats !
Thank you! I have to keep myself from looking back at it as I walk away.

Congrats. I wanted an NSX from the time Acura introduced it. Some things are worth the wait!
I completely agree. I haven't found a car that makes me feel the way I did as a kid when I saw it. Well maybe an R8 but that's out of my grasp........for now...

looks good best of luck...be mindful of that ww lip on a lowered car:wink:

Congrats! I wanted one for many years, too, and I’m happy to own one. Have fun in good health.

CHAPTER 2
Things aren't always as they appear

So I went to see Ben Schaeffer at Daisy Import Auto thinking it was just going to be a quick in and out of him telling me I did a great job on the find and that everything was A-OK and talking about cosmetic mods...well I was a third right and one out of three ain't bad. He told me that I got it for a great price however there are things that need immediate attention. I was so confident that I would be in and out that I only drove one car to the shop (LOL).. luckily I'm local and the Lyft back wasn't too bad. :rolleyes:

Ben was really busy this morning but that did not stop him from stopping everything to help me even though I had not called ahead. The guy is amazing and really loves this platform. I know I'm not breaking new ground here saying that he is the best but if you are new to NSXs and don't believe the other positive reviews because you came across a couple bad ones then take it from me, there is no other place to take your NSX.

Unfortunately, because he was busy, he was not able to start on mine right away and I wasn't able to get pictures of him breaking it down.

The damage:
  • Replace leaking coolant tank and all hoses
  • Replace TW sensor
  • Replace the thermostat and gasket
  • Replace (badly leaking) clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder
  • Replace the Timing belt, water pump, front crank seal, CAM seals and timing belt tensioner
  • Replace melted CAM angle sensor
  • Replace right front inner and outer tie rods
  • Replace CV axles and repack boots
  • Replace main relay and fan controller with rebuilt BrainK versions
  • Replace fuel filter with new OEM one
  • Replace radiator with Koyo HD Aluminum radiator
  • Clean and calibrate injectors
  • Bleed brake system and fill
  • Raising the car some and an alignment
  • Change transmission fluid

I bought the car as is but was not made aware of all these issues. Ben told me that most of these issues are common and related to age and for the price I paid, I made out well since the value of the car will be more than I will be all in for. A little sugar for the medicine if you will.....

I will update more as I learn more but as of right now she rests in the more than capable hands of the NSX whisperer.

IMG_20180813_094926.jpg

IMG_20180813_100156.jpg

IMG_20180813_102209_20180813195401229.jpg

IMG_20180813_102828.jpg

Last edited:
looks good best of luck...be mindful of that ww lip on a lowered car:wink:

Ben already advised me to raise it a bit haha. I like the low look but it's just not feasible on these Maryland roads

Congrats. Glad it all finally worked out. Can't wait to hear what your plans are and see what happens.

Thanks man! Also thanks for all your help, I actually ended up using the company you mentioned based on your recommendation. So it's safe to say I might not have it if it weren't for you.

Congrats! I wanted one for many years, too, and I’m happy to own one. Have fun in good health.

Thank you, glad to be officially part of the group!

Back