The big decision

I know this has been addressed so many time and so many way (and yes, I have read the threads...)
I'm completely torn between a 2000 and 1991 model. I always knew I would want one or the other and the opportunity has come up to choose between the two. Both are excellent, low mileage examples that are bone stock.
I'd love to get a good conversation going.
Considering current pricing trends, is the 1991 the more "bankable" car? (I intend on driving the car either way)
Someone push me in one direction or another
Thanks!

I may be biased but I'd go for the 2000. Bigger engine, better ABS, perforated leather interior, power steering (which I prefer), dual airbags, and targa top. If you prefer the more raw feel, go with the 91.

What do you mean by a "bankable" car? You are probably looking at a price point of at least $15k higher for the 2000.

Just that I do believe the values are going to go higher over time for both, but considering future desirability, will people focus more on the earlier years being that they are early? There are simply more 1991's vs 2000's, so the 2000 would be more rare, but perhaps not more desirable or valuable in the future. I know it's a bit of crystal ball gazing here, but opinions are welcome.

The cars will have more than 15k miles. My intent is to enjoy either one, keep is stock, but not put a ton of miles on it.

Hope this clarifies it some?

I think each NA1 or NA2 has its desireablility (if that's a word). But overall, all of them will be desirable since they're never gonna get reproduced. Even if the new one is coming out, it'll be a totally different car. Can't match apples with orange, other than they're both fruits. Same goes for the NSX, the desire for each one is different. I have an 03 and I love it but I think if I has a 91 or 00, I will love it just as much. For me, there's a little more benefit from the NA2, like Spa2KJT said that the NA1 just don't have. But there are also some that the NA1 has that the NA2 doesn't, like pop-up lights, no targa mean more rigid on turns or bumps, and some like the 5 speed more, although I couldn't tell the difference. Anyway, don't buy the car for what it might bring you later but buy it because you love the specific car and not for the money.

Good luck in which ever one you choose, I think you just can't lose!

Frankie

For the most part (including NSXs), cars are not investments. And a car that you intend to drive is even less of an investment.

It is impossible to predict market pricing in the future and in a vacuum but given the two choices you have mentioned and your stated intention, the values most likely will appreciate/depreciate statistically in proportion to their current market prices (all else being equal between the two).

Welcome to Prime. Are you looking to invest insomething or drive something? Your question reminds me of myself early in my NSX search. I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend $25k or $40k, whether I wanted a coupe or a T, all-OEM or lightly modded, black, silver, blue, or white. Something that would appreciate and which I'd have to baby or something that's more of a driver. The easist option I had in addition to reading Prime posts & the wiki/FAQ was to ask questions, so I'd ask only to realize years later that only I could answer 95% of my questions. Ultimately the main thing that helped me answer them was to go test drive or even just see/view as many as I could in person. After my fourth test drive (and after seeing my first GPW coupe in person at LarryG's) it was crystal clear what type/color/condition/mods/etc I wanted. I drove to Indianapolis, Buffalo NY, York PA, and Long Island to look at some and I flew to Connecticut on some frequent flier miles that were about to expire, etc. I would have attended NSXPO in NJ 3 years ago but couldn't swing it because of work. If you can make NSXPO in Columbus next month that will be the best $600 you'll spend on your search IMHO.Long story short, IMHO try to drive and even just see as many as you can. Good luck!

IMO it comes down to do you want a targa or no targa. Personally, I'll trade the extra rigidity away for the targa top any day.

But there are also some that the NA1 has that the NA2 doesn't, like pop-up lights, no targa mean more rigid on turns or bumps, and some like the 5 speed more, although I couldn't tell the difference.

To be clear, NA1 versus NA2 has nothing to do with things like pop-up lights. That is an engine code, not a body style designator.

I personally love that I have one of the first examples of the breed, the one that caused such a stir way back when. I love being able to say "It's a '91; it's 23 years old" and watch jaws drop.

Personally, if both are in similar conditions, you couldn't go wrong with any one of them. Drive both of them and feel for yourself as many have suggested. NA2 and NA1 is quite a bit of difference. Also, NA2 have a more little bit updated interior and small bits and parts.

Right off the bat, the 91 will probably need more maintanence items taken cared of (since it is going to be soon a 25 years old car) where as the 2000 is still a tad bit "newer".

In terms of desireability, both will stand strong. But honeslty the 91 should retain it's value better than the 2000 (since you'll be spending around $10-15k more for that). In terms of investment, the NSX is not a good choice, however, they don't depreciate much which is a great bonus already compared to many other vehicles. For collectability, my personal preference will be the 91.

Go see em for yourself, test drive them. Good Luck!

This! Coupe vs Targa. I 100% prefer a coupe. But then again, you have the newer ABS/6 speed/slightly nicer changes in interior/slightly bigger motor. Good luck in your decision. It would be tough for even me.
IMO it comes down to do you want a targa or no targa. Personally, I'll trade the extra rigidity away for the targa top any day.

To be clear, NA1 versus NA2 has nothing to do with things like pop-up lights. That is an engine code, not a body style designator.

I know this has been addressed so many time and so many way (and yes, I have read the threads...)
I'm completely torn between a 2000 and 1991 model. I always knew I would want one or the other and the opportunity has come up to choose between the two. Both are excellent, low mileage examples that are bone stock.
I'd love to get a good conversation going.
Considering current pricing trends, is the 1991 the more "bankable" car? (I intend on driving the car either way)
Someone push me in one direction or another
Thanks!

Nothing quite like the top off in a NSX at 100 mph.

Just that I do believe the values are going to go higher over time for both, but considering future desirability, will people focus more on the earlier years being that they are early?

It will be apples & oranges. Two different cars. Other than the criteria that I listed, all NSXs are going to do relatively the same so buy what you want.

As indicated here, the targa top is the big difference. Most other things are minor.

What else do you drive? I think the 91s (which I have) are not as refined as 2000...so if you have the space/desire for early/raw'r (no power steering)...if its going to be a multi-role car (easier to park/drive, top down, etc...) later model.

If you are going to drive it a lot, the market suggests you will not retain as much value as a low mileage garage queen.

All good comments above to be sure. I've had a 1991 and now have a 2001 --- I kinda prefer the 2001 --- I do prefer the targa top, along with some of the other upgrades that have been mentioned above. As you mentioned, future values are a crystal ball guess - but they made far fewer in the later years, and thus they should be more difficult to find in numbers ( particularly clean, non-wrecked, stock or mostly-stock originals). The later models do feel a bit more "refined", and I guess I've gotten to that age where I appreciate that -- but in any event, any model is an absolute adventure, and you will never look back. Good luck, and keep us posted on what you end up buying. Jay

I've come to appreciate the simplicity of the 91-94 NA1 Coupes. I loved the manual steering rack and more raw driving feel of my previous two early model coupes. I also prefer the fix roof coupe vs the Targa. What I do like about my 97 Targa is the 6-Speed Transmission and larger displacement motor. Where the torque comes from I don't know, but you can feel it. What I am surprised is I don't love the 6-Speed trans as much as I thought I would over the 5 Speed. I do prefer it over all, but now that I owned both transmissions, it's not a must have like I had always thought for myself. I can live and be happy with the 5 Speed. I love the manual steering rack feel and would gladly swap a manual rack into my 97. It's nice to have power steering in the parking lot, but my manual rack never bothered me before and it's an obviously different feel compared to the power steering at all speeds. The manual rack for me just felt much more connected and precise. This reality is a tough one and having owned two 92's and now a 97, I would still have a tough time deciding exactly which model to get. If I were going to mod, I think I'd go for a 91-94. If I were to leave it relatively stock, I think the 97+ would be my choice. Or if you prefer coupe or targa.

There's only one possible answer to that.

That's how PHOEN$X may answer, and even add one of Mr/Mrs Howells' granddaughters as a 3rd. I say both, with Mary Ann on Ginger's lap, both riding shotgun a 5 sp coupe.

Seriously tho. :) every response here is correct but OP needs to drive and see more in person if he hasn't already, assuming investing isn't his main driver. The answer will jump into his lap. :)

I am surprised no one has asked you any questions, because that really determines the answers. How long do you plan to keep it? How do you intend to drive it? Do you want to track it? is it a daily or a weekend car? where do you live and what is the weather like? How aggressively do you drive? What do you normally enjoy about a car?

These two cars will have a different feel, and if all else is equal, which... it probably isn't, the car that suits YOU is the one you should buy. If you answer some of these questions the answer will be a lot more clear.

Nothing quite like the top off in a NSX at 100 mph.

^this.

One of the greatest driving experiences I have ever had (and probably will ever have) was the first time I blasted down the highway at sunset with the targa roof off of my very own NSX. I couldn't wipe the grin off my face for several days :biggrin:.

Back