OK to run directional tires backwards?

I always thought this was a big NO NO and have never even considered it but another Primer posted in another thread a link to a Tire Rack Tech Information page that seems to suggest (based on actual testing) that it is not detrimental to handling and grip.

If so could this be a solution for people running high camber and only driving on the street?

Does anyone have their tires removed and remounted to even out the wear?

I've never done it and don't think I would. Although I have many times unmounted and "flipped" the tires to evenly wear out the outside of the tires, by then remounting them on the other side of the car as you suggested. I've been doing that for years on the NSX. Tire life is much improved/balanced wear.

I always thought this was a big NO NO and have never even considered it but another Primer posted in another thread a link to a Tire Rack Tech Information page that seems to suggest (based on actual testing) that it is not detrimental to handling and grip.

If so could this be a solution for people running high camber and only driving on the street?

Does anyone have their tires removed and remounted to even out the wear?

It used to be a no-no to run a radial tire the opposite way from how it was first used, something about how the belts wore in, but that went away decades ago.

Now, if you are talking about true directional tires, designed to run a certain direction, that's a different story. As the Tire Rack article explained, most, if not all, directional tires are directional for water evacuation from under the tread. That "v" shape pushes water out to the sides very effectively when they are run in the correct direction. Running them backward has the opposite effect, channeling water to the center of the tire, promoting aquaplaning. From what I know, there should be no performance hit running a directional tire backward IN THE DRY. Wet weather, all bets are off. As I read the article from Tire Rack, I asked the question which they answered further down: sounds like this is at autocross speeds, which it was, and with a heavy car. Running directional tires on a lighter car at higher speeds would probably prove that there is a significant difference.

As far as removing tires from the wheels and mounting on the other side of the car to account for camber wear, it would depend on the tire. Some tires are asymmetrical, with compounds and tread patterns different between the inside of the tire and the outside. How much of a difference it really makes is dependent on the tire. So, please go with manufacturer recommendations on whether you can run a tire "inside-out".

I have run a few on-track sessions with my front tires reversed (accidentally) and did not notice any difference once switching them to the correct sides. This was in the dry.

What you propose would require remounting the tires, so would allow them to even out camber wear even when maintaining the same direction, unless they are also asymmetric. If asymmetric then you couldn't even out camber wear unless you violate the asymmetry preference. That seems potentially a bigger problem than directionality, assuming dry conditions.

Mine are directional but not asymmetric (I believe). Thus, simply reversing the L/R wheels evens out a bit of the wear from running around a clockwise track. But camber wear remains unless I remount them.

I have had directional tires mounted backwards. As mentioned above, this is fine in the dry (I noticed no difference, although once I saw how they were mounted I went back to the shop and had them fix it).

The main issue (when the tire is new) is that water evacuation in the rain will be different, and noise levels may change - once the tires are worn to the point where you'd want to flip them I suppose it won't matter as much. I have also mounted asymmetric tires backwards once worn and noticed nothing wrong.

Back