• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spool Valve Gaskets. Part numbers?

I have an early 1991. VIN 0000732
there are two generations of spool valves and I want to replace the gaskets/filters.
Kaz on NSXCB.CO.UK mentions two generations of spool valves. My valve diameter is 25mm indicating the newer spool valve??

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?995-Low-mileage-LMA-service-08#comments

is there any remote chance I have the later valves? I guess they could have been replaced.
Is there a engine date code to verify or just the year/VIN?

parts I have today:
36172-PR3-005
15825-PR3-005
is there an o-ring required as well?

Would like to see the answer to this one too.
My VIN is 0000435.
Was planning to order the following:

spool valve filter assembly 15825-PR3-005
spool valve O-rings 91302-PR7-A00
spool valve O-rings 91319-PR3-003
solenoid filter assembly 36172-PR3-005

talk with the parts department of your dealer. I did this and it was a blur as it was so fast. Replaced parts, vtec = worky

get both? That way you'll be covered. They're not expensive:

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/parts-...ts/1991/nsx/5-speed-manual/engine/spool-valve

I'd replace gaskets while I'm down there.

Appreciate your help but not sure what you're getting at.
We have early 91's and trying to determine which spool valve we have and if there is some marking somewhere to determine this.
Ordering parts off the fiche is not the problem but which parts is the question
There are no gaskets to replace, only O-rings

just do what he says.....

measure your solenoid diameter:

If it is about 35mm, it’s the original design and you need the ver.PR3 for both filter gaskets.
If it is about 25mm, then you have the later spec and you need the ver.P08 gaskets.
(there are differences in shape)

The change over occurred somewhere in the middle of 1994; So there are some 1994 cars with PR3 and some 1994 cars with P08.
For spool valves, its all about the engine code, NOT the model year.

Last edited:
just do what he says.....

measure your solenoid diameter:

If it is about 35mm, it’s the original design and you need the ver.PR3 for both filter gaskets.
If it is about 25mm, then you have the later spec and you need the ver.P08 gaskets.
(there are differences in shape)

The change over occurred somewhere in the middle of 1994; So there are some 1994 cars with PR3 and some 1994 cars with P08.
For spool valves, its all about the engine code, NOT the model year.

Thank you for the explanation.
I think I understand what to do.

Hi, warrenw.

Please refer to the comment section of my blog below for the answer to your post on NSXCB site;
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?995-Low-mileage-LMA-service-08

I’m also interested in your findings so it would be nice if you can share the info once you have some time.

Regarding the o-rings in the above post.....
I’m not sure about the description against the parts no. because there is only one o-ring used at the VTEC Spool valve.

I presume you were referring to the one used at the base of VTEC oil pressure switch or (although it’s not at the VTEC spool valve) the one at the neck of engine oil pressure sender unit.
Both of them use the same o-ring, 91319-PR3-003.
I don’t need to touch them as it’s not that common for oil to seep from there and thus, I don’t replace these during my Engine Refresh service.

However, I do replace (again, it’s not at the VTEC spool valve) the O-ring at the base block of the engine oil pressure sender unit for the certain service menu.
It’s the 91302-PR7-A00 x 1 and it’s inserted at the sender unit block where it meets the side of cyl head.

Kaz

Thanks Kaz
My solenoids are 25mm
I ave a very early 91.
Strange?
I have the complete history on this car and there is no mention of the spool valves being replaced.

sounds like you have a newer spec solenoid valve on the older engine. Maybe they were replaced once because of mechanical/electrical failure instead of just leaks?

My 1994 is near end of model year #465 of 517, and it too has the newer solenoid specs (25mm measurement).

JD Cross, out of curiosity, what was your measurement? 25mm or 35mm? - I'm guessing closer to 35mm.

Last edited:
Hi, JD Cross.

Thank you for the information about the diameter of the solenoid.
I think I should have been more specific on the measurement than using the approximate figure especially after looking at your photo.
Apology for causing confusion.

In order to highlight the diameter difference, I just used ‘about 35mm’ and ‘about 25mm’ but because your measurement was right at the middle (30mm), I now know it was confusing.

IMG_0114.JPG

The later spec smaller one is actually 23 - 24mm.

The original larger one is 30 – 31mm.
So, I have updated the info in my blog linked in the above post #9 as well.

Still, interesting to know what kind of filter/gasket is inside Warren's spool valve.

My 1994 is near end of model year #465 of 517, and it too has the newer solenoid specs (25mm measurement).

I don’t have access to Canadian parts system but it’s interesting to know that the late 94 Canada model already had smaller later spec spool valve.

Thank you.

Kaz

Last edited:
I decided this is going to need a more AcCURAte measurement. Instead of using a metal ruler,and involving parallax error, I got the electronic calipers out.

measurement is 30.25 mm.

as per Kaz's last post. I would have the original spool valves, yes?

Jim, nice picture!

Last edited:
I decided this is going to need a more AcCURAte measurement. Instead of using a metal ruler,and involving parallax error, I got the electronic calipers out.
measurement is 30.25 mm.
as per Kaz's last post. I would have the original spool valves, yes?
Jim, nice picture!

Looks like we both have the original size and need the PR3 series parts
Thanks to Kaz for clarifying the matter.

Well - I must have the 94 where the split happened - sn 425.
Started replacing my gaskets and the rear bank fit just fine.
When I did the front bank I found that -
#1 - there was no screen in the top solenoid gasket and and the new gasket would not fit.
#2 - The body gasket just would not fit right int into the casting - it wanted to bunch up.

I came back to this thread and came to the conclusion that I have a mix of spool valves and
went back out to the for the correct parts.

Looking at the valves - I have two different solenoids -
The rear bank (left in photo) solenoid measures 1.2 inches. - I believe it is the "vintage" 91-94 valve.
The top solenoid has a stamping IE09 on the edge of it.
The valve body has a stamping IE10.
Top / solenoid gasket 36172-PR2-005 - Body gasket 15825-PR3-005

The front bank (right in photo) solenoid measures just under 1.0 inches. - I believe it is the "newer" 95-on valve.
The top solenoid has a stamping IF03 on the edge of it.
The valve body has a stamping IF07.
Top / solenoid gasket 36172-P08-015 (no screen) - Body gasket 15825-P08-005

Spool-Valve.jpg

Thanks to all others or I would still be scratching my head.

Last edited:
Back