• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recommended shop for tranny work in OC or LA area? Need to replace main-shaft

I've decided to go Exedy carbon twin plate route.
Need to replace main shaft (input shaft) to NSX-R.
Any recommended transmission shop who has experience with NSX in OC or LA area?

Last edited:
Greg,
there is no better person to take care of your gearbox problem than Nick.
he is in Vista, he is the one builds gearboxes for Factor X TT, Dali, Coz.... and many others for years.
he is very meticulous and the best.
760-401-0253
See if he can fit you in.

Tim

Greg,
there is no better person to take care of your gearbox problem than Nick.
he is in Vista, he is the one builds gearboxes for Factor X TT, Dali, Coz.... and many others for years.
he is very meticulous and the best.
760-401-0253
See if he can fit you in.

Tim

Nick is great and so is Autowave in Huntington Beach. They did my new clutch, NSX R short gears and lower final drive.

Nick is great and so is Autowave in Huntington Beach. They did my new clutch, NSX R short gears and lower final drive.
Vista is little too far. I prefer some place closer since the car needs to be droped off.
That leaves me with Autowave but I'm not so sure about them. Heard a lot of mixed feeling about AW.
I was surprised when Ramon said no one he knows from local can work on nsx tranny.
If it's true, where do all so cal guys get their tranny work done?

Last edited:
Vista is little too far. I prefer some place closer since the car needs to be droped off.
That leaves me with Autowave but I'm not so sure about them. Heard a lot of mixed feeling about AW.
I was surprised when Ramon said no one he knows from local can work on nsx tranny.
If it's true, where do all so cal guys get their tranny work done?
I would not even think but get it to Nick. I also have heard mixed things about AW.
Call up Nick - I think he's back on 30s or smth; I will be heading there from OC and if it happens you need to drop it off the same day I can give you ride back home np. lmk

I would recommend going with the Carbonetics triple clutch. This way you do not have to change the input shaft. We have done the Exedy twins in the past and in my opinion these are one of the worst engaging clutches on the market and we have not had good longevity on them. We have Carbonetics triple disk clutches running in our turbo cars running anywhere from 400-750whp that have 30+ thousand miles on them. plus the Carbonetics will hold more power than the Exedy.

I'm in clutch manufacturing/wholesale business and IMO, exedy makes greater products thru r&d than carbonetics. It sounds like you had 'better' luck with carbonetics than with Exedy in the past but that doesn't necessarily mean carbonetics is superior. I've driven a few nsxs with exedy carbon twin in Japan and it drove nothing short of phenominal. I became an exedy believer after all those years running on exedy twin and tripple stuffs on many different cars. Have visited both factories in Japan and IMO, they are simply in different league... Sorry for going off topic. Now back to thread

Last edited:
I've seen some expensive clutches get written off only to find out later the install was faulty. please let us know what clutch you go with (sounds like you're set on the exedy) and your feedback later. we're short clutche choices on the NSX.

Nick is rebuilding my 5spd now. You may also want to consider to wpc key parts. I would not take my trans anywhere else and i drive to see him farther than you!

I've seen some expensive clutches get written off only to find out later the install was faulty. please let us know what clutch you go with (sounds like you're set on the exedy) and your feedback later. we're short clutche choices on the NSX.

Nick is rebuilding my 5spd now. You may also want to consider to wpc key parts. I would not take my trans anywhere else and i drive to see him farther than you!

I'm planning on doing a write up on Exedy and SOS clutches (current set up). And yes, I'm getting WPC treatment on Exedy to reduce clutch chatter.

Back