• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Supercharger: Comptech VS SOS

Im trying to decide which way I want to go with supercharging the car. I have comptech on my s2000 and I like it but my tuner (Jeff Evans) like the SOS kits better. I know SOS uses a larger blower that will produce slightly lower temps as it will not spin as high and they do provide fuel stuff. Which ever way I go Im going to do injectors and EMS so I wont need the FMU in the CT kit. The SOS kit does have the option to use smaller a smaller pulley but you have to add intercooler and front mount. Im trying to see what HP numbers are people really putting down with CT and SOS kits out of the box, and with smaller pulley set ups. The reason Im leaning toward SOS is the extra power it can make. How much extra power is that and is it worth the price of the added equipment.. thats the question

Last edited:
If you want to do engine management and tuning via an AEM, get the SOS kit. This is not really a question of which kit to get and modify, it's a question of which kit is for you period.

The Comptech kit is for someone that plans to keep it simple and not go for all the extras IMO. the minute you want to go over what comes in that kit you need a whole bunch of other things. Understand that the fuel injectors are near their limit on the Comptech kit. If you want more power you need more fuel. Different injectors require a bigger pump, and then you must have engine management.

These kits are very different. One is going to give you the maximum the car can handle as is, with factory injectors, pump, no tune, and no IC/AC while keeping it all legal. There is a decided line in the sand. If you want to go for more power, don't waste money getting the Comptech kit then throwing away good parts. Just buy the SOS.

The Comptech kit has been perfect for me. It's a bolt-on. I would in no way consider other kits a bolt-on as tuning and many more parts are involved. Personally, if I wanted more power and was willing to do the extra cost and headaches of tuning and management, nevermind building my motor to handle the extra power, I'd just go turbo.

Last edited:
I think the reasons to choose one or the other is well detailed above.

The power differences are pretty significant - 80-100 whp for CT SC and 140-160 hp with SOS SC. The price difference is around $500.00 (which is a bargain considering all the parts included with our kit). My recommendation is if you feel you will want to upgrade beyond the CT SC, consider the SOS. If you do not have access to a tuner, select the CT SC.

cheers,
-- Chris

I have a Comptech old style whipple. If i were in the market i would go SOS because its a bigger blower. The power difference I would argue on being significant maybe 20whp on 8lb vs 8lb. Still 20whp is better

personally, i think after you get the CTSC, your going to be kicking yourself in the butt because your gonna want even more power after that. If you didn't want all this extra power, you wouldnt be paying 10k+ for a supercharger kit. All-in-all i think, with the access to a tuner, the SOS kit is the way to go.

Lets clear up a few falsities here. The larger SOS blower does not inherently produce ANY more power than the Comptech 1.7L. The extra power comes at higher boost levels.... which absolutely REQUIRES aftermarket fuel injectors, aftermarket engine management, tuning, fuel pump, and in some applications, an intercooler and heat exchanger which costs $2700 more money. The extra "$500" does not take into account any tuning, which is absolutely necessary when running this kit. Also, the Comptech kit comes with a new triangular brace that is $650 extra at SOS, and a new targa cover that is $1000 extra at SOS.

If you simply swap from a 1.7L to a 2.1L, and keep it at the boost level the Comptech 1.7 runs with to start with, I doubt you will see any more power if not less power but I am certain this will be argued. There is such a thing as proper blower sizing for a system just as there is with proper turbo sizing. So if you are under the impression that 2.1 is better than 1.7, you really aren't understanding how blower sizing works.

In the end, these are two vastly different items, as I said before. One is a 50 state legal bolt-on, the other is a comparatively elaborate system that requires either a compromise piggy-back fueling system like the FIC, or the more accurate AEM EMS that is only for older OBDI cars. Either's reliability rests in the hands of your tuner.

I would never say "you may as well go with".... Because to many, legality, simplicity, and no need for tuning at a lower safe boost level matters a lot. The Comptech system will net you 80-100 HP alongside other mods like headers, exhaust, and intake. That's plenty for a lot of people. It made my car fast enough to stay competitive with Z06's and 911 turbos on the track. On the dyno with headers, exhaust, and intake changed I netted an increase of 112 HP to the wheels.

If you want to jump beyond that, IMO it is almost not worth it to try to make a supercharger work. If you take into account the extra cost of headers and exhaust which come standard with many turbo kits, you will actually spend less on a more powerful, less parasitic turbo system that will give you more torque. Turbo lag these days is minimal, the only loss you may have is one of sound. But once you add up the $, you will see the turbo system gives you a lot more bang for the buck. The position of a blower on a hot motor (intercooled or not) is a compromise. There is some power loss due to heat soak with all supercharger systems. This is something else you do away with on a turbo. The NSX motor is also very high revving and that also is a good match for turbochargers. When boost comes in at 2700 and you have another 5300 RPM's to go, that is a benefit. Low RPM motors have some benefits using blowers.

In short, the only bolt-on system is the Comptech system, then there is everything else. Those are the FI systems that are more comparable to each other and worth discussing in a thread. For those who have decided they are willing to take at extra big step.

Last edited:
Lets clear up a few falsities here. The larger SOS blower does not inherently produce ANY more power than the Comptech 1.7L.

Not true. The 2.1L unit displaces 2.1L vs 1.6L (31% more) per revolution (the 1.7L was discontinued some time back). The engine management requirement is not boost related, rather cylinder pressure increase from the increased air mass. More air = more fuel & more advanced engine management.

-- Chris

Not true. The 2.1L unit displaces 2.1L vs 1.6L (31% more) per revolution (the 1.7L was discontinued some time back). The engine management requirement is not boost related, rather cylinder pressure increase from the increased air mass. More air = more fuel & more advanced engine management.

-- Chris

Chris are you claiming that at 7psi which is standard boost on the Autorotor based Comptech simply swapping to your 2.1 liter will produce more power? Because if you are, I'd really like to see some evidence of it. I said the 2.1 will not produce more power on its own. Are you disputing this? The 2.1 CAN produce more but it cannot do it without aftermarket injectors, aftermarket fuel pump, engine management and tuning. I don't know why you are saying what I stated above is not true. If the sticking point is the term "boost" versus cylinder pressure, that's fine... I will say cylinder pressure. But that wasn't my point. I wanted to clarify that the Comptech blower is perfectly sized for its intention and simply going with a larger blower will not net any more power.

Last edited:
As a generality, at the same manifold pressure, the two superchargers move about the same air mass. The difference is the larger blower will need to spin slower to move the same air mass. The reason the 2.1L produces ~ 70-80 more horsepower at the same speed is that it is moving significantly more air mass at the pulley speed as the smaller unit (Comptech and ScienceofSpeed blowers use about the same pulley size in the standard configurations). There is only about 1.5 PSI difference between the two systems in their standard configurations. Hope that helps.

Dollar for dollar, the SOS is a better value and offers more power. If you don't want to mess with tuning, go Ctsc.

I have been in pretty much every type of FI nsx except the SOS sc. Hope to check one out some day.

I'd find a new tuner unless you are planning on a motor build down the road.......in fact my car needed a motor and a paint job when I got it back from Jeff Evans.

Last edited:
I have no idea as to why (besides smog), in 2013, any owner who was going to go FI wouldn't do it right (EMS) as opposed to using something (FMU) that even the domestic guys ran away from years ago.

As a generality, at the same manifold pressure, the two superchargers move about the same air mass. The difference is the larger blower will need to spin slower to move the same air mass. The reason the 2.1L produces ~ 70-80 more horsepower at the same speed is that it is moving significantly more air mass at the pulley speed as the smaller unit (Comptech and ScienceofSpeed blowers use about the same pulley size in the standard configurations). There is only about 1.5 PSI difference between the two systems in their standard configurations. Hope that helps.

The reason it's producing more power is mainly because it is running a leaner fuel mixture per engine management... because the standard comptech runs on the rich side to be safe.... and that costs a lot of power. If you Installed all the same ancillaries on the two superchargers, they would show very close power levels.

Of course at some point, the 2.1 becomes more efficient and starts to be more a factor. Just like at some point the 1.6 is more efficient than the 2.1. The Comptech is optimally sized for what you can do without re-doing the whole fuel and ignition systems. Somehow some people think they are getting "less", when they a getting a properly sized blower.

As I said, different animals. Just depends on what you want to do.

- - - Updated - - -

I have no idea as to why (besides smog), in 2013, any owner who was going to go FI wouldn't do it right (EMS) as opposed to using something (FMU) that even the domestic guys ran away from years ago.

1) Legality. That's kind of important.

2) Not having to rely on some dude with a laptop tuning your motor that may or may not know what he is doing. I've never seen a perfect tune, especially in places with wild climate fluctuations... Although I am sure there are some.

3) cost and simplicity.

There are good arguments for both. One has to make decisions based on where they are, how much they want to spend, and what they are comfortable with.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd find a new tuner unless you are planning on a motor build down the road.......in fact my car needed a motor and a paint job when I got it back from Jeff Evans.

Who is Jeff Evans? Are you recommending against this guy?

Last edited:
Don't you think using the term " properly sized" is a step away from realistic. They are both different systems...the CT being a true set and forget it system best taken as is for what it is....while the SOS system allows for a little growth down the road. Truthfully though, once you need a tuner involved, I don't see the reason to even bother with a supercharger since the turbo kit prices are only around $1k more.

Dollar for dollar, the SOS is a better value and offers more power. If you don't want to mess with tuning, go Ctsc.

Dave what do you think good tuning costs? $1500? Add to that the brace and targa cover so the two are exactly equal, and you are at $3100 more for the SOS system without an intercooler (then you are at $5800 difference). Is that more value? IMO no. Just buy the SOS twin turbo system.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't you think using the term " properly sized" is a step away from realistic. They are both different systems...the CT being a true set and forget it system best taken as is for what it is....while the SOS system allows for a little growth down the road. Truthfully though, once you need a tuner involved, I don't see the reason to even bother with a supercharger since the turbo kit prices are only around $1k more.

I agree with you completely. Properly sized meaning for the boost level the Comptech runs, and what the factory injectors can handle, and how much air you need to put into the motor. It is properly sized for that job.

Tuning should typically cost between $600-$900.....unless of coarse your tuner pops your motor and then it costs around $10k.....haha therefore pointing out the best attribute to the CT system.

Last edited:
Tuning should typically cost between $600-$900.....unless of coarse your tuner pops your motor and then it costs around $10k.....haha therefore pointing out the best attribute to the CT system.

I guess it depends on location. You won't get a tune in Boston for $600-900. So what happened to your motor? Was it running lean due to a bad tune?

I guess it depends on location. You won't get a tune in Boston for $600-900. So what happened to your motor? Was it running lean due to a bad tune?

1st time around the OPs tuner popped a ring land on me.....every time I got on the car it blew oil right out of the breather on my catch can.....what didn't come out there came out the exhaust and made my bumper look like silver/black speckle paint. Second time around rear bank got starved for fuel and melted pistons.

Dave what do you think good tuning costs? $1500? Add to that the brace and targa cover so the two are exactly equal, and you are at $3100 more for the SOS system without an intercooler (then you are at $5800 difference). Is that more value? IMO no. Just buy the SOS twin turbo system.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you completely. Properly sized meaning for the boost level the Comptech runs, and what the factory injectors can handle, and how much air you need to put into the motor. It is properly sized for that job.
I have never paid more then $700 for a full tune and have always had very well repected tuners. Some of the prices I hear people paying for stuff on their Nsx's just amazes
me

1st time around the OPs tuner popped a ring land on me.....every time I got on the car it blew oil right out of the breather on my catch can.....what didn't come out there came out the exhaust and made my bumper look like silver/black speckle paint. Second time around rear bank got starved for fuel and melted pistons.

Jesus... I'd have been quite upset. I'm sorry to hear. I mean who is responsible then? You?

Once you take possession it's your problem. The OPs tuner actually left my car outside after agreeing not to, and there was a freak hail storm that I confirmed with local weather reports for the week my car was there. I found all that out after he blamed the incurred damage on the flat bed carrier when I freaked out when I picked it up. He didn't even offer to pay my insurance deductible after I found out the truth. He is a flat out liar and I wouldn't trust him with my skateboard let alone my NSX ever again.

Seriously...what's with the obsession with more power?

Run the most efficient 7lb setup possible. Keep iat cool. Keep timing conservative. Get an EMS and you'll be just under 400whp with low stress on the engine.

Run the lowest boost possible but make the most power possible and live a happy life.

Theoretically the only advantage of a smaller displacement is less parasitic drag and mildly better throttle response.

- - - Updated - - -

I've also driven several turbo setups...there's a reason I have not swapped over.

Here is what I can add. The standard SOS kit comes with the low boost pulley (autorotor) for the 3.0 engine. It is the 352-078-1. This makes 6 to 7 psi on the standard CT supercharger on the 3.0 engine. This pulley on the SOS 2.1 makes around 9 to 10 psi without intercooler. With the intercooler its 8 psi. So they spin about the same speed but the SOS supercharger moves more air and therefore makes more hp. It also makes more because the higher boost pulley for the CT supercharger must spin the supercharger faster (more hp loss due to friction) to equal the higher psi of the SOS supercharger.

Example my 3.2 engine made 410rwhp on the low boost pulley for the 3.0 engine and 420rwhp on the normal low boost pulley for the 3.2 engine. I believe BATMANS had the traditional high boost pulley for the CT on his SOS supercharger and made 430rwhp.

Low boost CT is 330-350rwhp; Low boost SOS is 380-400rwhp
High boost CT is 350-380rwhp; High boost SOS is 400-430rwhp
The true difference is around 50rwhp but due to various setups could be more.

Last edited:
Sizing superchargers are like sizing turbos. It has to be optimal for the application. The bigger the blower the more power it requires to turn (parasitic HP losses or greater stresses on engine). Focus on making things more efficient. With my custom exhaust and the RSR ran up oil additive with lwfw I'm already at 350whp on the stock ctsc tune while heatsoaking on a 1991 NSX. With a cooling solution, rdx injectors, bigger tb, and EMS I dont think 380-390 is out of reach. This is on a baby but easy to turn 1.7L blower with awesome throttle response (though no itb!)

- - - Updated - - -

And only the 7lb low boost pulley...

Back