Who do you use for collector car insurance?

Last edited:
I know this topic has been discussed before, but some of those threads are quite old, and insurance policies and premiums seem to change by the minute. Anyway, I found Classic Auto Insurance and they confirmed that they do insure NSXs and offered a pretty competitive quote:

http://www.classicins.com/

For $1 million single limit coverage with $1k deductible, my quote came out to $525/year if I show them proof of an approved club membership (I'm assuming NSXCA would qualify).

Edit: I did two exact quotes, within minutes of each other, and the second quote shows $808 for the premium. I still have the first quote in my browser, and double checked that all the info is the same. I hit "recalculate" and it shows $553 now. Their online quote system is very inconsistent.

Last edited:
I know this topic has been discussed before, but some of those threads are quite old, and insurance policies and premiums seem to change by the minute. Anyway, I found Classic Auto Insurance and they confirmed that they do insure NSXs and offered a pretty competitive quote:

http://www.classicins.com/

For $1 million single limit coverage with $1k deductible, my quote came out to $525/year if I show them proof of an approved club membership (I'm assuming NSXCA would qualify).

Edit: I did two exact quotes, within minutes of each other, and the second quote shows $808 for the premium. I still have the first quote in my browser, and double checked that all the info is the same. I hit "recalculate" and it shows $553 now. Their online quote system is very inconsistent.

Do they just insure for kbb value? I was going to go with Hagerty until they changed their policy about how old your daily driver is... problem I will have is all the work in mine I wont go with a company that just covers kbb value, I need a stated or agreed upon value.

Do they just insure for kbb value? I was going to go with Hagerty until they changed their policy about how old your daily driver is... problem I will have is all the work in mine I wont go with a company that just covers kbb value, I need a stated or agreed upon value.
No, it's agreed value but like I said, the online quote system is inconsistent. I just ran it again, and it gave me an $897 quote.

hhmmm... just ran it. $1247 for a year with it covered for $75000 (mine is modified)

hhmmm... just ran it. $1247 for a year with it covered for $75000 (mine is modified)
Is that a pretty decent quote? I can get coverage through my normal insurance carrier (Liberty Mutual) for around $800 but it wouldn't be agreed or stated value, so I would be at the mercy of their claims adjuster.

Last edited:
I have agreed/stated value @$50K with Grundy for $750/year, no mileage limit, have to have another vehicle as a daily driver, no rally, gymkata, drifting, racing, etc.

Supposedly here in Phoenix, if you have collectors insurance, they can send information to the state designating it as a collector's car, and then you are exempt from smog testing. I believe OYATL has that exemption, will have to ask him about it this weekend.

(edit: a blue sled should be pretty cheap to insure... : )

Last edited:
Is that a pretty decent quote? I can get coverage through my normal insurance carrier (Liberty Mutual) for around $800 but it wouldn't be agreed or stated value, so I would be at the mercy of their claims adjuster.

The last time I ran it through Hagerty they were closer to $1800 if I remember correctly.

I have agreed/stated value @$50K with Grundy for $750/year, no mileage limit, have to have another vehicle as a daily driver, no rally, gymkata, drifting, racing, etc.

Supposedly here in Phoenix, if you have collectors insurance, they can send information to the state designating it as a collector's car, and then you are exempt from smog testing. I believe OYATL has that exemption, will have to ask him about it this weekend.

Thanks Chase!!! I just talked to Grundy and submitted an application with Grundy Worldwide for $594/year (no deductible) including $1 million liability and $45k agreed value. Sweetness!

http://www.grundyworldwide.com/

I did see the thread about the emissions exemption for collector vehicles, which is part of the reason I'm interested in getting a collector car insurance policy (although I got my NSX smogged to title/register it here since it was from out of state, so it won't affect me for a couple of years, but I would still like to have agreed value insurance coverage).

Thanks again! You rock! :)

Last edited:
No worries, the thanks belong to OYATL
he pointed me to Grundy when I bought my car

May you never have to use their "product". :smile:
I'll have to thank OYATL then. He seems to be extremely resourceful. nsxter said he thinks he got his Canadian spec daytime running lights from OYATL as well. I need to see if he can score me some. :biggrin:

On my '92, I'm paying $413/year through Leyland West, $30K agreed value, $500 deductable, no mileage limit, commuter use OK.

On my '92, I'm paying $413/year through Leyland West, $30K agreed value, $500 deductable, no mileage limit, commuter use OK.
Thanks Wavey1. I ran a quote and it was $850 from them with lower liability limits. Grundy seems to be the one to beat so far.

Thanks Chase!!! I just talked to Grundy and submitted an application with Grundy Worldwide for $594/year (no deductible) including $1 million liability and $45k agreed value. Sweetness!

http://www.grundyworldwide.com/

I did see the thread about the emissions exemption for collector vehicles, which is part of the reason I'm interested in getting a collector car insurance policy (although I got my NSX smogged to title/register it here since it was from out of state, so it won't affect me for a couple of years, but I would still like to have agreed value insurance coverage).

Thanks again! You rock! :)

No worries, the thanks belong to OYATL
he pointed me to Grundy when I bought my car

May you never have to use their "product". :smile:

I'll have to thank OYATL then. He seems to be extremely resourceful. nsxter said he thinks he got his Canadian spec daytime running lights from OYATL as well. I need to see if he can score me some. :biggrin:

Thanks Wavey1. I ran a quote and it was $850 from them with lower liability limits. Grundy seems to be the one to beat so far.

Grundy is FVCKING AWESOME! $33K stated value and I pay some stupid amount like $450/year. UNLIMITED MILEAGE IS THE SHIT!

Yes, if you have collector car insurance in AZ, your car is exempt from emissions. Turbo here I come. :biggrin:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151701

Last edited:
How quickly were you able to get proof of insurance? My car is financed so I'd want to make sure they get proof of the new insurance company.
My application hasn't been approved yet. I'm hoping it will be by Friday. I'll post an update once it is.
Grundy is FVCKING AWESOME! $33K stated value and I pay some stupid amount like $450/year. UNLIMITED MILEAGE IS THE SHIT!

Yes, if you have collector car insurance in AZ, your car is exempt from emissions. Turbo here I come. :biggrin:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151701
That's sweet. :biggrin:

I've been using an recommending Grundy for years. My father uses them and usually has 1-2 claims a year. They let you choose the repair facility and don't question a thing. Recently my father bottomed out his Aston Martin and cracked the carbon fiber undertray. It was a $4,500 repair and they covered it 100%.

I'll have to get a quote from Grundy! But my 911 was totalled in a deer strike last year (hence the NSX in the stable). Leland West paid the agreed amount, PLUS they had an inflation rider on the policy which I wasn't even aware of. Really great settlement - they didn't flinch and they quickly agreed to cover the NSX. Can you say "loyal"?

My insurance is about to expire and am currently getting quotes from different companies. I heard good things about Wawanesa and thinking that I will be switching to them, but what is the advantage of going to a collector car insurance?

Sorry for hijacking.:smile:

I use American Collectors insurance. When i first called they didnt want to as it was too new (my first 05) but after i explained it and how rare it was they were all for it. I just transferred and upped the policy on my Imola and no issues.

Back