NSX Suspension Walk-Around - InsideLine

Yes, I was impressed with the article and responses too.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2012/02/1991-acura-nsx-suspension-walkaround.html

These center caps are perhaps the biggest example of committee-think on the Acura NSX project.
"I think the forged wheels should have exposed lug nuts for a clean look and easy access," says the first.
"Well I think the NSX should have a smooth center cap that hides the lug nuts altogether and makes the center of the wheel look really big and visually heavy -- I mean, strong," replies the second.
"OK, let's compromise: We'll make a center cap, but we'll put holes in it so you can still see the lug nuts."
"That's good, but we need more. Let's say we make the holes small enough that the center cap will still need to be removed to fit a socket onto the nuts."
Both together: "With a little indent in the cap so the tip of a screwdriver can gouge the wheel and dent the cap as you pry them apart? That's it! We're a genius!!"

Good read!

"But if producing zero bump steer was all it was for, if that's all it actually did, the compliance pivot wouldn't be so thoroughly hated by a certain subset of NSX owners that take theirs to the track"

I can't ever recall a post about people hating this. Anyone?

"But if producing zero bump steer was all it was for, if that's all it actually did, the compliance pivot wouldn't be so thoroughly hated by a certain subset of NSX owners that take theirs to the track"

I can't ever recall a post about people hating this. Anyone?

Well Ti-Dave was the first and thus the rest of us track junkies.....

pivotclamps_450.jpg

I've currently got the entire front suspension of a '91 on the floor in my garage. I still hae to say for a 20+ year old car its still a work of art.

From the Repair Manual 18-5 there is a tibit I came across when pulling it out.

..."Front Compliance Mechanism:
To avoid the usual compromise between ride quality and handling characteristics, a pivot-type "compliance mechanism" has been designed as an integral part of the front suspension. When one of the front wheels is subjected to a rearward movement by an uneven road surface or by heavy braking, the load produced has two separate effects. As with any suspension system, the load acts in the vertical direction to compress the suspension spring and reduce the ride height. On the NSX/NSX-T the load also acts through both the upper and lower control arms to twist the compliance pivot. This allows the wheel to move rearward by a controlled amount, thus absorbing energy. The result is an outstanding ride quality with only minimal changes to track width and wheel geometry. In cornering, the compliance pivot does not come into play, and the lateral suspension stiffness required for maximum roadholding and optimum control response is maintained."...

I can tell you without a doubt that you can feel the difference under heavy braking without Ti-Dave's clamp. The car is more skidish without the clamps, so Honda's solution was a compromise for comfort.

Back