What is the youngest child you can take in your NSX?

I remember years ago when I was selling my s2000 this lady who bought the car came with her husband and 2 year old toddler.

After she paid and we did the paperwork, she promptly strapped the baby seat into the front seat of the s2000 and put her kid in there and drove away. Back then I didn't it much thought as I was not a parent but fast forward 9 years later, I'm thinking....

a) What is the LEGAL law about having a child in a safety seat to be strapped into the NSX?

b) Even if it's legal, is it safe? Assuming I disable the airbag?

c) What is the age most of you parents allow a kid to ride along in your NSX?

thanks
rick

thanks Doc, yes I've seen this thread - the airbag is not much of an issue as I know how to disable it. Just seeing what most of the fathers here have done in terms of child safety seat selection and what age they started letting them ride in the NSX.

My daughter has been riding in the nsx since 10 months old. Just disable the air bag & get a rear facing car seat.

I have both rear and forward facing seats. She just got past the 1 year threshold so we picked up a Recaro forward facing seat. Works fine in the SUV for the back seats.

But in the NSX - I'm curious what age most fathers let their kids ride along? Maybe 6-7 years old in a booster?

rick

My oldest is 7 and 58 lbs....he has yet to drive on the street in the bee, in our driveway yes......at watkins glen on track .hell yes:biggrin:

thanks Doc, yes I've seen this thread - the airbag is not much of an issue as I know how to disable it. Just seeing what most of the fathers here have done in terms of child safety seat selection and what age they started letting them ride in the NSX.

I have both rear and forward facing seats. She just got past the 1 year threshold so we picked up a Recaro forward facing seat. Works fine in the SUV for the back seats.

But in the NSX - I'm curious what age most fathers let their kids ride along? Maybe 6-7 years old in a booster?

rick
Oh if you have the Recaro then your good to go! There was a thread on here where alot of fathers said that they let their kids ride along from a few months old & up, so your good!

I let my 6 year old ride in his booster seat in my NSX and have not had any issues (91 with no passenger airbag)

Last edited:
My wife and I took the NSX and our Miata to a car show with one of our kids in the front seats. The youngest was four, the oldest was six both in a booster with the seat all the way back. Oldest rode in the NSX on the way down and the youngest rode in it on the way back. Both loved it.

Outdated law. CA new law this 2012. As I recalled child should be 80 pounds, 5 feet.

Other hints: 1. Can a child bend his/her knees while his/her back is against the seat comfortably? 2. Seat belt should run cross the child's shoulder, not the cross the neck?

New York does not have any laws yet regarding front seats and kids (except that they have to be in car seats and boosters as age appropriate). We, typically, are about 10 years behind California so by the time New York gets the law on the books my kids will be fine. Sweet:biggrin:

I started taking my 2 boys when each were about 1 and a half, or about the time they could ride in a forward facing car seat. Both love it and now fight to see who gets to ride in it, and they are only 3 and 5... Gotta Love it:biggrin:

I think I took our first daughter when she was a couple months old. NSX is 1991 so no airbag means so rear-facing OK (as in my avitar). Had to take it a little easy on the accelerator lest her head flop forward (from her perspective). Most of the time she slept like a...baby. :tongue:

She is now almost 5 and requests the NSX for special occasions (like first day of preschool). I use the NSX for when I have one-on-one outings with her or her middle sister (almost 3). I haven't yet taken their little sister (5 months)...mostly because the NSX has been in winter storage most of her life.

Thanks Rick for this, my Daughter is finally coming from Brazil in March, she will be exactly 4years and a half, now, my question is this, she is very tall like her mom (her mom is 5.11, I am 5.9) .. she is more like a 5.5-6 year old Year in heigh ... Should I buy the Recaro child seat? or is that an overkill? I don't mind getting one (and is a high priority) but I don't want to overdo this since she might be maybe 2 big for it ?

What should I do?

Oscar

Thanks Rick for this, my Daughter is finally coming from Brazil in March, she will be exactly 4years and a half, now, my question is this, she is very tall like her mom (her mom is 5.11, I am 5.9) .. she is more like a 5.5-6 year old Year in heigh ... Should I buy the Recaro child seat? or is that an overkill? I don't mind getting one (and is a high priority) but I don't want to overdo this since she might be maybe 2 big for it ?

What should I do?

Oscar

Booster seats are based on height and weight. Typically the numbers recommended are 4 years old and 40 lbs to sit in a booster seat.

I have only tried backless booster seats in my NSX, maybe someone else can chime in on one of the larger boosters that have a back (like the Recaro) and how they fit.

I use the $40 Cosco Scenera seat from WalMart in all of our cars (NSX included, with bath towel folded up under to keep the plastic seat and crumbs off the leather). Daughers love the pink version. We have a backless booster but it is so far just occasional use as oldest has not yet outgrown the other seat...probably will try it in the NSX this spring. I can do a test fit with my daughter if you want more feedback on if it works well.

Last edited:

What should I do?

Oscar
You really don't need the Recaro, I have this one for my dd & it words perfect. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Big-Kid-Sport-Booster-Car-Seat-Fiona/15611793?findingMethod=rr

The only thing is that in the Nsx it doesn't fit in between the bolsters on the side where your ass would normally be, so I put a towel or two under to prop it up & problem solved. The good thing about that seat is that when she gets big enough, she might be able to do it now since you said she is tall for her age, you can remove the back and use it as backless booster seat like one of these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Juvenile-LiteRider-Youth-Backless-Booster-Car-Seat/15047829

My 5 and 7 year old has only been around the corner and back as passengers, they are a team and one can't get left behind so the opportunity is always missed. I'm sure when my 7 year old gets his license he will take his brother for spin I'm the X

Thanks for all the replies! :) Can't wait till she gets old enough....

Oscar: I will take some pictures of my Recaro setup when I get a chance :biggrin:

Can you guys post some pictures of your setup? Mine may be slightly different since I have aftermarket BRIDE seats - luckily my passenger seat is the EURO II so it has wider bolsters unlike my driver side. I guess buying different seats does have it's advantage.

here's a shot of how my seats differ:

Driver: (defintely won't fit the Recaro)
IMG_2129.jpg

Passenger:

IMG_2430.jpg

The best child safety equipment you can have is the DRIVER BEHIND THE NSX. When you have a precious baby in your ride, turn your alert and awareness to the MAX. Be on the look out for potential danger.

Here's a buddy's 3.5 years old boy enjoying the NSX. :)

423599_10150638543500358_646835357_11551081_1561665564_n.jpg

418861_10150638543055358_646835357_11551068_1379320444_n.jpg

422549_10150638543075358_646835357_11551070_718525603_n.jpg

ps, for the record, no, we didn't drive him around like that. He just posed for pictures...

Last edited:
My 5 year old started when he was three (my older two are well out of car seats).

Here is my youngest son at three in the NSX...

5278574161_5a146013d8_z.jpg

Father's day a few years ago. I remember feeding her the bottle in the car before the short drive around the block.

Attachments

• IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 387
Back