• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY for Ceramic coating Headers

Hi everyone, I just want to share my DIY ceramic header coating with everyone. I recently bought a used set of DC Sport headers from a prime member that I didn't install as yet due to weather conditions forbidden!!. However I wanted to have them ceramic coated but didn't have the funds to get it done professionally. I used the VHT flameproof high heat paint, the color is called cast iron, which is almost a gunmetal finish. Let's start with the prepping. Make sure the headers are clean and wash with a detergent to get any grease off. I also used a 600 grit sandpaper to scuff the stainless steel abit to make the paint stick better. You will also need a good heat gun if your not going to bake the headers in your oven. I heated the headers 15min before with about 1100f setting with the heat gun. I began to spray about 2 coats evenly on one side if you have them laying on the floor like I did and let dry for about 10min. Next you can do the other side and heat for 5-10min then let cool for 15min. It is a very easy process if you have patience. I will show what they look like stainless and after with the VHT ceramic coating. The overall finish looks good. I will install the headers some time next week. I read online about people that used this VHT product and had good results. Here are the pics.

IMG00734.jpg

IMG00732.jpg

IMG00742.jpg[/ATTACH]

Last edited:
I don't think its the same as having a "real" ceramic coating put on. Here is a test. After driving around, wait for about 5 minutes, then stick your tongue on the header and see if it's still hot. :tongue:

Your are more than welcome to be the guinea pig!!!

I don't think its the same as having a "real" ceramic coating put on. Here is a test. After driving around, wait for about 5 minutes, then stick your tongue on the header and see if it's still hot. :tongue:

I'm just gonna see how long it will last when I put them on. I don't track my car just spirited driving here and there. My other car will be the track car..:biggrin:

Joking aside, the "ceramic" paint is not the same thing. In fact, the high-temp ceramic paint only last a few track days on my calipers before starting to flake off in a few spots. :mad:

Last edited:
Your getting the look, but not the benefit. Not worth the time IMHO.

Moses is right, this is not like real ceramic coating, you are not putting real ceramic coatings on at room temperature. However if you like the look more power to you, at those high heats from the headers though not sure how long it will last like CL65 Captain said...

btw, the DC headers are prone to cracking at the flex joint, you might want to see if you can change that connection to something else like a ball socket joint seen on the newer ones. I would consider getting either a muffler shop or another place that can fabricate one on prior to installation. Otherwise it's going to be a real headache later if/when it cracks. Do a search on prime on the DC headers flex joint cracking issue.

Thanks for the info. That issues was fixed by the previous owner.

btw, the DC headers are prone to cracking at the flex joint, you might want to see if you can change that connection to something else like a ball socket joint seen on the newer ones. I would consider getting either a muffler shop or another place that can fabricate one on prior to installation. Otherwise it's going to be a real headache later if/when it cracks. Do a search on prime on the DC headers flex joint cracking issue.

I wouldnt say its all useless work down the drain. Now all you have to do it wrap it with exhaust wrap. The ceramic paint should protect the headers from moisture.

Back