• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How many original owners are left out there?

With Ken Sax now selling his 91, I am wondering who else out there is an original owner?

I'd like to hear from you as I don't think there are too many of us left in the early years but perhaps more in the newer years.

Thanks
Jim

JD - if you look on www.autotrader.ca there's an original owner in Ontario selling his 91 Berlina Black.

I wouldn't think there are many of you out there left...pretty cool though to think you actually got to drive it away from the dealership.

So off topic here but I remember when I was 16 working at Sport Chek in Edmonton when a regular customer of mine drove up in his days old Berlina Black NSX. My jaw hit the ground....his ski sale was all about the car!!!

I am, and I met a few at the last NSXPO. More than I thought I would meet. So we are out there.

Mine is an 02, but I'm the original owner!!

Do I count? Not sure...

I had a used 1998 in 2001, then had a new 2003 in 2003 bought new... but then sold that when the baby was on the way in 05 and jumped back into a fellow Primer's 1999 back in 09.

Original owner 1992. Bought in March 1992 at Ann Arbor Acura with 0.00 down, 0.00 payment for first 4 months and 3500 off MSRP! Story told at NSXPO 2010. Ken, say it isn't so!!!!

I took possession of mine in February 1991....over 20 years ago. I remember seeing it at a car show in 1990 and being so impressed with the styling that I signed up for one on the spot. A couple of invitations by Acura to experience the car performing on the track sealed the deal. Aside from the abnormal rear tire wear with the original Yokos, I have been just delighted with the car. The NSX trumps my previous rides which included a Triumph TR6, Datsun 240Z and Porsche 911SC Targa.

Ken, say it isn't so!!!!
Anyone with $30K can tell you it's so. :)

Hey, I still love the NSX! But I just haven't been driving mine. I'd rather have someone else enjoy it. I never bought it just to look at in the garage.

Aside from the abnormal rear tire wear with the original Yokos
There is no "abnormal rear tire wear". The relatively rapid tire wear on the NSX (rear tires only) is a function of the car's alignment, not the tire used, and the alignment can be adjusted to extend their treadlife.

My recollection was that I went through my first 2 sets of rear Yoko tires with an average of less than 5,000 miles travelled. The tires were fabulous being super soft and ultra sticky but the wear was still rather surprising to me. I naively thought that it should have been disclosed by the Acura rep in the pre-purchase discussions. Subsequently I tried Dunlaps and Michelins without adjusting the alignment and got far better mileage over the useful life of those tires (although I'm sure there was some performance sacrificed).
I thought that many other 91 NSX owners were unhappy with the Yoko tire wear and that there was a threatened class action lawsuit over the issue in the early 1990's which I think never actually materialized.

Anyone with $30K can tell you it's so. :)

Hey, I still love the NSX! But I just haven't been driving mine. I'd rather have someone else enjoy it. I never bought it just to look at in the garage.

I'm sure you've heard it all before but I wouldn't sell it. I wonder if in years to come you'd kick yourself...so what if it sits? Mine has sat in Vancouver for almost a year now (heck I haven't even seen it!!!).

Coming from an outsider I'd kill to have been an original owner...trust me when I was in my 20's I tried like mad to buy new and just couldn't afford it due to Uni costs.

Anyway we all have our reasons and thoughts...

This year is our 10th anniversary.

We are the owners of a 2001 NSX - in Grand Prix White.

Our car has just under 10,000 original miles on it - and is 100% stock.

A wonderful car and we have every intention of keeping it - even with a new (2012) GT-R coming on board and joining the family.

That said, all the best to the "original owners" reading this.

Since I spoke up, lets hear from you.

Last edited:
Original owner. Purchased 5/15/01 with 26 miles from Rick Case Acura in Ft Lauderdale. Current mileage: 12,600. Still the finest car I have ever owned. Gets plenty of notice.

LftSide1-50.JPG

My recollection was that I went through my first 2 sets of rear Yoko tires with an average of less than 5,000 miles travelled. The tires were fabulous being super soft and ultra sticky but the wear was still rather surprising to me. I naively thought that it should have been disclosed by the Acura rep in the pre-purchase discussions. Subsequently I tried Dunlaps and Michelins without adjusting the alignment and got far better mileage over the useful life of those tires (although I'm sure there was some performance sacrificed).
I thought that many other 91 NSX owners were unhappy with the Yoko tire wear and that there was a threatened class action lawsuit over the issue in the early 1990's which I think never actually materialized.
You've got some of that wrong. There was a class action suit, and it was settled by Acura changing the recommended alignment specs, offering free alignments to the new specs, and issuing certificates for free rear tires to owners. You can read more about it in the Wiki.

As you note, the original Yokohama tires offered great performance. There was nothing wrong with the original alignment or the tires, but the combination resulted in shorter treadlife than some owners were willing to accept. Aside from changing the alignment, anyone can get longer treadlife if they're willing to live with a degradation of performance by using inferior tires. Some owners are; most owners aren't. That's why they sell different tires.

Last edited:
The original tires also had an asymmetric carcass which was blamed for the short tread life. I did not participate in the class action but still received coupons for something like 3 or 4 (I don't recall anymore) sets of tires. I never used them. This was one of the innovations for the NSX that backfired on Honda.

Regards,

Danny

Funny you should ask...

I got my '93 nsx new 18 yrs ago.. had put on 90K wonderfull miles..up until LAST WEEK when I got a bit too frisky with the springtime warm and sunny New Eng weather...I blew the rod, camshaft and who knows what else( I'll find out next wk when it get removed.):frown::frown:

cheer up, I'm on engine #3 :redface: My suggestion although I have no training in this area,buy a complete shortblock instead of piecemealing a new crank rod combo from variuos sources,just seems like that rotating stuff works better when it is all put together at the factory at the same time..jmho.

Last edited:
Original owner 94. Pushing close to 300,000 k. This is somewhat of a cheat as SOS rebuilt all from bumber to bumper. Without question, the most reliable sports car I have ever owned!!!

Back