Paint on right rear bumper cover "dulled"

I suffered from a parking lot rubbing incident with another vehicle. His bumper rubbed against the right rear bumper cover of my NSX. The surface is dulled (no shine), but not per se scratched. No color transfer from the other vehicle.

I have done only handwork to bring the shine back with no success. I have caused no harm.

I have a 7424xp polisher.

What do you guys recommend (product+process) to restore the shine to this area?

If you rubbed the clearcoat off the paint on your bumper, it will likely need a repaint.

Post a picture.

Can you tell if the clearcoat is still there? Did you already try buffing it out?

I have used Menzerna's products with great results to enhance the shine in my paint and other cars. What product you use may depend on how bad the defect is.

Post a picture.

Can you tell if the clearcoat is still there? Did you already try buffing it out?

I have used Menzerna's products with great results to enhance the shine in my paint and other cars. What product you use may depend on how bad the defect is.

I will try to get a decent pic. Appreciate the help!

It is a bit worse than I described. There are definite scratches, but it has not reached any primer.

P1020898.jpg

Recommendations?

It is a bit worse than I described. There are definite scratches, but it has not reached any primer.

P1020898.jpg

Recommendations?

I would recommend using a 5" yellow pad with a Menzerna's Power Gloss, I have used this product and like it. When done I would finish with a polish pad and whatever polish pad you use.

Alternatively, I have read good things about Mequires M105. They do sell a smaller bottle for $7.99 so not a big investment, again I would probably still polish after compounding with a polish pad and your choice of polish. Finish with a sealant and/or wax.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-105-compound-8oz.html

Another alternative could be wetsanding but I have never done that so cant' offer advice.

If you want a professional opinion you could PM some of the pros on here, Oakes comes to mind, there are some others that do great work on here.

hmm unless the car that hit you was white I fear the scuf has gone through your paint,so if the paint correction you try does not work a repaint you will need.....signed yoda...

hmm unless the car that hit you was white I fear the scuf has gone through your paint,so if the paint correction you try does not work a repaint you will need.....signed yoda...

I was taking OP at his word that it was not through to the basecoat so assumed the flash was catching the scratchs making them appear deeper than they actually were. I hope so for the OP, otherwise you are right.

I just have to say - that'll buff right out...

But seriously, it probably will - I like to try the milder solution first but I'd say you might need something with a little more "kick".

I like meguiar's diamond cut for deep scratches, if nothing else you'll get rid of 90% of it and be left with only the deep scratches which will be less noticeable after buffing. If you use the diamond cut you need to be careful as it can buff your paint right down to nothing if you try hard enough. Follow that up with a swirl remover and then a glaze and finally your choice of wax or sealant or both.

Scratched clearcoat looks like this, esp. with camera-flash. I'd avoid repainting it and would even live with minor micro unregularities because the paint match now is perfect, after painting it may won't. Take the car to a professional you trust and doesn't have the first intention to repaint. A trusty guy can do a lot before repainting. They can fill the deepest scratch and polish the rest. You may still see it if look very, very closly but you won't see it if you look from a distance of more than 3 feet.

Thanks all. I will strive to "do no harm" for anything I do. If I cannot meaningfully improve it I will have a pro work on it.

I think I will try Meguiar's Diamond Cut. The scratches are not through the paint (I verified) but the surface has small "ridges."

Waiting for some better weather to work on it.

take some good after shots and update this thread.

Had a little better weather finally so I spent a bit of time on this spot. All of this was done with my 7424x using a yellow pad and Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. The process removed the sharp edges of the scratches, cleaned out the scratches, and made the original paint very visible. Not too bad.

New pic of "before" taken today:

P1030001.jpg

No flash "after" pic:

P1030002.jpg

With flash:

P1030004.jpg

thanks for the followup..did you ever tell us whether you could catch your fingernail on the scratch?

In the current state - the scratches cans be felt by my fingertip, but just barely. It does not get caught by a fingernail.

I would say the plastic bumper has been gently "grooved" but not gouged.

In the current state - the scratches cans be felt by my fingertip, but just barely. It does not get caught by a fingernail.

I would say the plastic bumper has been gently "grooved" but not gouged.

Tons better, you could try something more abrasive if you are not down to the primer but as it is I would say it looks pretty good. Could polish it out and be done with it. Hope your heartache has dissapated a little from when it all first happened!

Now about those exhaust tips...:biggrin:

Tons better, you could try something more abrasive if you are not down to the primer but as it is I would say it looks pretty good.
Be careful! It's nearly invisible now and much better than before. I'd not abrasive more! You've to know the thinkness of the clearcoat first before going any further! If you break through the clearcoat it's too late. If you still can't sleep the next step would be to use touch-up paint on the deapest scratches, let dry it and partially use 2000 paper to grind it down to the rest of the paint and finally use a short and fine polish. This takes a lot of time and nerves and skills. But again, I'd leave it as is, much better than the fuss of dismounting the bumper, risk of repainting and fitting all together. ;-)

I have this situation right now and may take some pics if desired. I was buffing of a scratch but polished to far until the red color diminished and the white primer was there. :D Now I'm right in the process of correcting that. Goal: not paiting!

Last edited:
Tons better, you could try something more abrasive if you are not down to the primer but as it is I would say it looks pretty good. Could polish it out and be done with it. Hope your heartache has dissapated a little from when it all first happened!

Now about those exhaust tips...:biggrin:

I'm reasonably pleased right now. From a standing position the defects are no longer visible. The car detailing thing is new to me (my 7424xp is new) so I will take my time getting comfortable with it. I will ease into anything more abrasive.

As for those exhaust tips - they are really in good shape though not clean underneath.

leave it alone, on the older cars the clear coat is tinted to give the NSX a red color, stripping it further, you'll get a orange NSX.

Proceed with caution.

Back