Tan Interior VS Black

shawn110975

Suspended
Guys I am thinking of doing an Interior conversion from Black to Tan Or Camel,

I know Im looking at alot of parts but my question is, In the Camel Colored interiors are the seats only Camel color, and all the other parts just tan? does the parts match the seats or are they off a shade? I love the Tan But the Camel Looks so much better, and they only made like 55 in 1992 with Tan Interiors? My NSX is a 1992,

I have seen lots of pics of the Camel/Tan

any new Pics would be great to! thanks guys

Also is the Interior Roof tan or is it grey?as well as the interior pillars? for the 1992 coupes?

3840713573_97661652b2_o.jpg

Headliner is tan too....hold on and I can get you a couple of shot of the rest of the interior...

Here are a few I went out and quickly snapped....

4454054473_6245a7c371.jpg

4454054621_d58c4089cd.jpg

4454054555_bea1affb7d.jpg

4454834348_624b51f782.jpg

So basically the only things that are black in my car are the dash, console/armrest, and top of the interior door trim. Everything else (carpet, trim, seats, headliner, firewall cover, etc) is tan.

Last edited:
Not sure what the difference between camel and tan is.....mine is a 94. According to the Wiki, mine is one of 6 White/Tan 5speeds built in 1994.

Nice, I saved the photos, its does look camel though, I am def going to do this Conversion. I am excited. the Head liner from the dealer is gonna cost me though LOL.

and the Tan Interiors I have seen in photos look more whitish than Tan, the Camel color is def stronger looking

And the seatbelts are tan Yikes.

I wonder if some of the ones you've seen were the ivory interior?

I saw that there are two tan door panels for sale in the parts section......

Are you just going to look into something like www.leatherseats.com for your seat leather?

Yeah I already looked into the leather seats from them already, getting the numbers together ya know.

I guess they switched with the targa years, but my A & B pillars and up is black.

What you need to do is find someone with a tan who wants to go back and swap. At one time, I considered going all black but figured it was too much of a hassle.

Last edited:
What year is yours? and would the targa interior fit in my coupe Minus the Roof Liner? I have a guy wanting to swap parts but his is a 1995-T, not sure if the Pillars will fit the same?

Don't do it! Black is beautiful. :smile:

Yeah Black looks good, but I have decided to go Ivory, I was thinking it was a tan, the ivory interior looks so much better and cleaner. I think more classy, I was going to go Tan/camel but changed my mind. I am buying all Ivory Parts parts I can find on e-bay and or Prime, got anything I can buy? lol

I like the contrast but instead of having tan mats I would get black mats to offset it. I love my ivory interior and I am glad I bought one with two tone interior color.....I am not too hip on the tan though.

I know I am OCD about my NSX so I am going to swap the dash out to. but I have found a company that offers this stick-on stuff they said they could match the color, and it would stick on to that section of the dash. and all I need to do to remove it is peel it off. to return it to black. easy fix cuz the removal of the dash would be a long process.

EDIDDYNSX is your interior pillars/ headliner roof? Ivory or are they a different color?

Last edited:
Tan wasn't available until 1994, 1991-1993 cars have ivory (white) interior, which can discolor and look tan (but is only dirty white).

The 1994 tan coupe has tan carpet, tan seats, tan rear wall trim, tan headliner, tan pillars, tan/black door panels, tan on the bottom of the dash, and even tan seatbelts and clips.

The later tan targa cars have a black bulkhead and black seatbelts, so the 1994 tan coupe is perhaps the 'most tan' available.

imo ivory interior is very much early 1990's style; it's your car, but converting from black will make the car look dated.

Personally I really like the tan interior, but that is just my opinion. I would also suggest, if you are going with Ivory interior to get black floor mats. I would think that the ivory mats (and interior overall) would be apt get dirty very quickly.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about that piece on the bottom of the console, since the rest of the console is already black it won't look out of place being black also (I presume the piece you were referring to is the same piece at the bottom of my console in the first pic that is also tan). Keeping it black wouldn't look our of place since all of the other dash/console pieces are also black.

I am tempted to go THIS ROUTE when it is time for new leather on the seats for me.

I have owned my car for nearly 3 years. Initially after purchase I thought I wanted to switch the interior from camel to black. I went through the same thought process as you, but after a few months I elected to stay with what I had as it grew on me. Just food for thought.

I know I am OCD about my NSX so I am going to swap the dash out to. but I have found a company that offers this stick-on stuff they said they could match the color, and it would stick on to that section of the dash. and all I need to do to remove it is peel it off. to return it to black. easy fix cuz the removal of the dash would be a long process.

EDIDDYNSX is your interior pillars/ headliner roof? Ivory or are they a different color?

Yes its all Ivory....however I redid my seats in black so it doesnt look all white and I added black mats with white writing. I think it is a proper balance to the ivory interior.

Back