$10 front license plate mounting idea

I realize there are prior threads on options for mounting a front license plate. After getting my first ticket while driving my NSX (doing 50 on a street zoned for 40), I also got a fix-it ticket for no front license plate. I know, join the club.

I have personalized plates so putting the other one on kinda helps "make" the car. However, I have no interest in spending $25 or $125 as some have done in buying and installing an elaborate product to mount one. So, I gave this some thought. My solution is practical, simple, and even looks nice. At least as nice for having a front plate.

First, buy a universal plastic mounting plate from our local car parts store. The cost was $6.00.
IMG_2958.jpg

Then, buy two 1 1/2" 90-degree metal angles with drilled holes from your local hardware store. Bend them at a ~30-40 degree angle. Use epoxy glue to secure these to the back side after measuring the distance between the upper bumper mounting holes. Be sure to scuff the plastic with sandpaper before gluing. Cost of hardware = $0.89.
IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

Buy two screws with thread size to fit the upper front bumper mounting holes. I used screws with a hex head to make screwing them in easy with a wrench. The plate is angled making use of a screw driver not possible. My car is a 1991, so not sure about the mounting holes for 2002+ cars. Cost = $0.59.
IMG_2965.jpg

Lastly, I used self-adhesive weather stripping and cut and placed a piece at the top of the plate holder to protect the bumper. I also purchased a set of black nylon bolts with nuts to secure the license plate to the plate holder. Cost = $2.49.

Here's the result. I've seen other cars with the plate mounted at an angle but wasn't sure how they did it. I did it my way.
IMG_2968.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

Last edited:
The license plate looks good. What's the angle on the angle bracket?

You should put some more "self-adhesive weather stripping" on the back sides of the license plate frame, so under speed it won't rub against the middle bar.

Hi Moses. The mounting brackets are very strong. The angle I bent them puts the bottom of the license plate about an inch or more away from the grill. I can't push it with my hand enough to touch any portion of the grill. So, the angle I put on the brackets was done just right.

Last edited:
This is a great solution. Much less expensive than some of the aftermarket offerings, and it looks much better than the OEM protuberance. :wink:

One suggestion for those who use their car when it rains or snows. If those brakets are steel, including zinc-plated steel, use some large heat shrink tubing over the brackets, or paint them after they are bent, or place a plastic washer between them and the body. Otherwise they will eventually rust and leave a deposit where they touch the body.:frown:

An alternative is to use aluminum, stainless steel, or brass for the brackets.

I have the Stock front mounting from Acura on currently. I will be making the change to this instead. Thanks for posting up the idea.

Anyone want the original one just cover the shipping charge and it's yours.

Is your stock front mount still available? Let me know.

Thanks,
Mike

I have the Stock front mounting from Acura on currently. I will be making the change to this instead. Thanks for posting up the idea.

Anyone want the original one just cover the shipping charge and it's yours.

Back