NA1 vs NA2....which is the better driver car?

Sorry kind of a noob here, not sure if this is the right section and i couldn't find anything when i did a search but i've been toying with the idea of picking up a nsx and was wondering what would be my best bet in terms of na1 or na2. i heard that the na1 (91-94) feels alot rawer with the driving feel. i know the na2's have more hp but i heard with the extra weight from the roof there really isnt a huge diff when compared to the na1. not really looking for a garage queen or a grocercy getter but something i could drive 2-3 times a week and on the weekends. i can afford both so thats not a problem, ive yet to driven one because well, they are pretty uncommon where i live. i have a ap1 right now and driven an ap2 as well and found that the ap1 had a more rawness to it while the ap2 was a little more comfy. so i guess what im asking is which has the better driving feel to it? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
haha well i know these cars weren't built for speed but how does handling and power to weight ratio compare to them? is it even noticeable?....im looking at this one and the price seems right, the only thing that bothers me is that it used to be supercharged, which to me is putting more stress on the motor. should i be worried?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119538

There are several threads on this topic, and it is largely a matter of driver preference. The NA1 Coupes (91-94) are the lightest and most rigid of the USDM NSX's. The NA2 T-Tops are about 100lbs heavier, though nearly as rigid due to improvements in the frame alloy. But, you get the 3.2L engine and 6-speed, which are, in my opinion, the best OEM powertrain for the NSX. You also get a removable roof, which is sweet in nice weather. :) The best of both worlds are the 1999 Zanardi editions, which combine the lightweight rigidity of the NA1 Coupe with the NA2 powertrain.

In terms of feel, NA1/NA2 are very close. I would agree that the NA1 Coupe feels more "raw" though that may just be because they are older and things rattle. :D Still, the 3.2L cars are definitely faster, and the 6-speed is geared better (i.e., shorter) for street driving excitement. On the 5-speed, there is a dissapointing rpm drop between 1st and 2nd that puts the engine out of VTEC range.

If you are looking for a stock NSX and want the most fun out of it, I suggest the NA2 for the 6-speed and fun-in-the-sun factor. If you are willing to spend $ on mods and are looking for more performance, the NA1 Coupes are a great value. You can easily make them as fast as NA2. Bring your wallet though. ;)

Finally I will give you the advice some wise people here gave me when I was looking for my NSX: drive both versions first and make up your own mind. :)

There are several threads on this topic, and it is largely a matter of driver preference. The NA1 Coupes (91-94) are the lightest and most rigid of the USDM NSX's. The NA2 T-Tops are about 100lbs heavier, though nearly as rigid due to improvements in the frame alloy. But, you get the 3.2L engine and 6-speed, which are, in my opinion, the best OEM powertrain for the NSX. You also get a removable roof, which is sweet in nice weather. :) The best of both worlds are the 1999 Zanardi editions, which combine the lightweight rigidity of the NA1 Coupe with the NA2 powertrain.

In terms of feel, NA1/NA2 are very close. I would agree that the NA1 Coupe feels more "raw" though that may just be because they are older and things rattle. :D Still, the 3.2L cars are definitely faster, and the 6-speed is geared better (i.e., shorter) for street driving excitement. On the 5-speed, there is a dissapointing rpm drop between 1st and 2nd that puts the engine out of VTEC range.

If you are looking for a stock NSX and want the most fun out of it, I suggest the NA2 for the 6-speed and fun-in-the-sun factor. If you are willing to spend $ on mods and are looking for more performance, the NA1 Coupes are a great value. You can easily make them as fast as NA2. Bring your wallet though. ;)

Finally I will give you the advice some wise people here gave me when I was looking for my NSX: drive both versions first and make up your own mind. :)

To this well written comment, I am adding that the 3.2L engine first came out in 1997 models. Also, power steering was added along with the T-top in 1995, so no coupes except for the Zanardi edition. These are some of the more significant changes between the NSX model years. :biggrin:

Do a search for "changes by year" and that will give some information on the differences year-by-year.

so would a previously supercharged motor bring down the value of the car? see my link on the third post to the car i'm considering seems like a reasonable price:confused:.

The best of both worlds are the 1999 Zanardi editions, which combine the lightweight rigidity of the NA1 Coupe with the NA2 powertrain.

Actually the Zanardis are the lightest NSX ever imported to the US:wink: NA2 coupes are expensive but they are the BOB in any NA1 to NA2 contest except for price. Hell if Honda had imported any 02+ NA2 coupes they'd probably still be selling for close to sticker ..LOL

Since your an AP1 man you should go with a NA1 :biggrin:

How much better is the 6-speed tranny over the 5-speed? Is it enough to purchase a NA2 over a NA1?

How much lighter can a NA2 become on a weight reduction diet?

honestly the performance of them all, from 91-05, is going to be close enough that unless you're pushing the car to it's absolute ragged limits on the track you're probably not going to notice that much of a difference in them

I agree with others that the early coupes are the lightest and most rigid. If you put some aftermarket headers and a good exhaust then the power is nearly the same as a NA2. Add a Pro-Speed chip and hi-flow cats and you are ahead of the game.

The 6 speed is nice since the gears are closer ratio. The 5 speed is not as good since when you shift to 2nd you get out of V-tec range. Alot of peeps get the NSX-R short gears to bridge that gap.

What made my decision was the increased head room in the coupe. Then I decided to go for the lightest coupe without electric assist power steering.

Good Luck on your search!

honestly the performance of them all, from 91-05, is going to be close enough that unless you're pushing the car to it's absolute ragged limits on the track you're probably not going to notice that much of a difference in them
I guess its my preference for another 6-speed transmission. Not to mention I do love the NA2 aesthetic updates. Even if I were to get a NA1, I would get the NA2 front+rear conversion.

I agree with others that the early coupes are the lightest and most rigid. If you put some aftermarket headers and a good exhaust then the power is nearly the same as a NA2. Add a Pro-Speed chip and hi-flow cats and you are ahead of the game.

The 6 speed is nice since the gears are closer ratio. The 5 speed is not as good since when you shift to 2nd you get out of V-tec range. Alot of peeps get the NSX-R short gears to bridge that gap.

What made my decision was the increased head room in the coupe. Then I decided to go for the lightest coupe without electric assist power steering.

Good Luck on your search!
Can a NA2 Targa be put on a diet to weigh the same as a NA1?
NA2, only if its a coupe.
Its almost impossibe to find one...any tips on how to go about searching for it? Especially a NA2 coupe in white?

I guess its my preference for another 6-speed transmission. Not to mention I do love the NA2 aesthetic updates. Even if I were to get a NA1, I would get the NA2 front+rear conversion.

Can a NA2 Targa be put on a diet to weigh the same as a NA1?

Its almost impossibe to find one...any tips on how to go about searching for it? Especially a NA2 coupe in white?

NA1 and NA2 styling is the same, you're talking about the 02+ facelift

For the track, I really like manual-rack cars.

Well about the 6-speed vs the 5-speed,, I have noticed that my 92 NSX feels like it should shift to 6th,, but I only have 5, I mean your doing 80 mph and the rpms are at 4,000, its like they forgot to put the 6th gear in there,,, every time I drive I feel like I want to shift,, since non of us look at the rpm we kinda shift when you hear and feel the cars vibrations, I would love to have a 6 speed tranny!

Well about the 6-speed vs the 5-speed,, I have noticed that my 92 NSX feels like it should shift to 6th,, but I only have 5, I mean your doing 80 mph and the rpms are at 4,000, its like they forgot to put the 6th gear in there,,, every time I drive I feel like I want to shift,, since non of us look at the rpm we kinda shift when you hear and feel the cars vibrations, I would love to have a 6 speed tranny!

Thnx for the feedback Shawn. I definitely used 6th to improve on gas mileage, not to mention it was just more fun to downshift to 3rd or 4th depending on my speed (M3 experience).

One of the things not very often mentioned is that the 1997+ 3.2 NSX's have a larger, single disc clutch which is way heavier than the twin-disc clutch of the 1991-1996 models.

The single disc clutch is much more expensive to replace when worn out.

I don't have any information however on the effect of the larger clutch on the throttle response of the engine.
If anyone knows, I would be interested to know which clutch is better.

When Honda produced the 2002 NSX-R, the switched back to the older model twin-disc clutch, which makes me think that the firt clutch type might actually be the better one to have.

Power steering, a removeable roof, drive by wire, an extra gear and 0.2L extra displacement are all overrated :)

I agree with evo575gtc...get an early one, then mod the piss out of it!

i never felt the need to shift into 6th since our 5th is geared to do 186mph. in fact i sometimes forget what gear i'm in if i'm driving in auto pilot mode and i'm in 4th doing 60mph and i think i'm in 2nd and i ended up downshifting. remember 2nd gear in most cars only goes up to 60mph and 2nd @60mph is actually when v-tec engages in ours.

Back