Steel NSX-R Hood

I don't know much about metal. All I know is Steel is heavier than Aluminum. Would this be a good option in the future or not?

Main advantages would be:
1. Having a ducted hood that's not CF.
2. Not having to run hood pins since it's metal.
3. Cheaper than buying a real metal hood or having someone fab one up from Aluminum.

Disadvantages
1. Steel
2. Weight
3. Still aftermarket

I ask this because I'm not sure how much more steel weights than Aluminum, but if it is what I'm thinking it is than removing the spare tire and items would make up for the weight difference no?

Stephen

steel hoods are pretty heavy.
one person can hold it up, but it takes 2 people to install.

the DF NSX-R hoods can be held with one hand and installed by the other hand.

if you ever lifted an Integra hood or a Prelude hood, you'll see a huge difference.
im guessing - the steel hoods are about 35-45lbs
a lot of people do the carbon fiber hoods on these cars not just for looks, but the weight savings is a big deal on these little cars.

OEM aluminum NSX hoods weigh just a tad more than the Downforce carbon fiber NSX-R hoods.

the Downforce NSX-R hoods have a metal insert where the OEM striker bolts up to as well as the 2 hinges towards the windshield. It's as safe as it gets for everyday driving.
for a race car, i think they required lock pins to meet regulations.

any weight you remove from the car makes a huge difference.
just my personal experience, both my NSX and Integra, anything more than 50lbs added or removed is noticed in acceleration.

Last edited:
Or, you could just have the stock aluminum hood modified similarly to the NSX-R design...

-Wick

IMG_0559.jpg

Back