DIY: Red Wrinkle Paint valve cover

if you are putting your valve cover in the oven to cure, be sure to give it a solvent bath before hand to get all the oil out of it. drying paint + burning oil=a bad coat of paint.

Nope, no primer. As long as you clean the surface really well, it'll stick. As for the color, the bare metal vs black OEM wrinkle, turns out the same - just like in the pics.

They turns out real nice in person. Thanks Cresent! I have to say the one you did strip the paint does have a nicer finish. (more OEM)

from my experience- you should definitely apply any wrinkle finish over bare metal as any old paint or primer will interfere with the process of 'wrinkling' making it inconsistent. just an observation (learned it hard way:wink:).

Go buy one at Harbor Freight. Its on sale right now for 9.99, you cheapskate :biggrin:

Or

Go buy one at Sears, use it and return it. :eek:

LOL..........I didnt realize they were so cheap. I shall pick one up this weekend.

installed pic. Thanks C-speed.

DSC00246.JPG

DSC002441.JPG

DSC002431.JPG

Hey Ferrand!
Glad you liked the result! :). It looks great! How come you didn't want intake manifold cover done too?

I do have a spare one laying in the garage and I might do it...

I for some reason don't like the red intake manifold cover, borrowing this pic from SOS..
engine.jpg

may look good with an 02 cover with silver words.
black_intake_manifold_cover.jpg

red-450.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Ferrand!
Glad you liked the result! :). It looks great! How come you didn't want intake manifold cover done too?

They look great. Mine are off the car and ready to send out. Just waiting for your PM.

Driving around with them off the car does make a bit of a mess in the engine bay though!

Hugh..I know you have an odd sense of humor, but Mask JUST died in that Ferrari, I would ask that you excercise a little more prudence. Do me a favor and change that bad boy.

Thx man, and sry for interrupting the thread...

Jon

Hugh..I know you have an odd sense of humor, but Mask JUST died in that Ferrari, I would ask that you excercise a little more prudence. Do me a favor and change that bad boy.

Thx man, and sry for interrupting the thread...

Jon

How insensitive of me! I hope this shining example of the marque's superior crashworthiness sans fresh entrails is less offensive. :wink:

By the way, thank you for the honor of replying to your 666th post. Up The Irons!

maiden666.jpg

Last edited:
Thx Hugh..

so if my valve covers are in good shape . just spray the VHT?
dont have to go through the paint stripping?

Last edited:
so if my valve covers are in good shape . just spray the VHT?

If there are no chips/flakes missing from the factory wrinkle finish, then just clean it really well with wax/grease remover and paint away.

dont have to go through the paint stripping?

If there's considerable finish that has been flaked off, etc, then you'll want to strip the old finish off.

Got my beautifully pained covers back from C-Speed and they went on the car yesterday. I'll post pics after the little NSX get together in Florida tomorrow.

Got my beautifully pained covers back from C-Speed and they went on the car yesterday. I'll post pics after the little NSX get together in Florida tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay with the pics. Here they are. Excellent job C-Speed, they look fantastic. Charlotte deserved a little facelift for surpassing the 240K mile mark!

redcovers01.jpg

redcovers02.jpg

redcovers03.jpg

redcovers04.jpg

I did not like how "orangish" my valve covers turned out so i took a high temp semi-gloss red paint and put top coat overtop of the wrinkle and it turned out just a little darker. just fyi to anyone lookin to do this!

Glad you like them :) They look great on your car...

What cap do you have on the coolant overflow tank? I have the same tank, but my cap is fugly.

Haven't been on prime in a while... you got a PM :)

Thanks C! The cap is now sold with the tank. I believe in the past it was sold separately because it simply fits over a standard cap.

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=2308

Here is a cap cover listed alone but according to the text it might not fit. Check with Mark I suppose.

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=2340

Last edited:
Can these be cooked in our kitchen stove? I mean, will the wife cut me off?

Yes it can be done without ruining the stove or Yes my wife will cut me off? :eek:

Back