DIY Cold Air Intake

I got bored and decided to make me my own CAI. 3" diameter PVC piping and a 90 degree elbow I got from Home Depot. There is not much room in the fender well behind the air dam so I was able to find this small K&N air filter at Autozone. This intake SCREAMS at vtec! My butt dyno estimates 5hp. Total spent $40. Its ghetto but it works. :biggrin:

3265837554_b28132d2fb_b.jpg

3265837036_773032eb15_b.jpg

3265012115_93922a34c4_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job. I wonder whether the smaller surface area of this air filter actually hinders airflow and decreases performance. Butt dynos tend to be inaccurate.
You can probably find some braided hose or something similar to cover the pvc and make it more attractive.

Last edited:
A larger side air intake (ex. GruppeM) would scoop more air to the filter. (Route-KS RGT scoop would be perfect with that but that's not to everyones taste)

And maybe some heat insulation round the PVC pipe (i doubt that would help that much) might keep the air cooler by stopping the PVC heating up.

Looks OK in the dry, but have my reservations on using this setup in heavy rain. Would in my opinion get way too much water beeing this exposed

Take that metal hose that feeds into the rubber boot at the throtle body OFF. It only feeds dirty/oily air into the intake. Then put filter material over the opening into the boot and over the end of the hose. Put some kind of deflector in front of the air filter or it will get soaked when raining. A foil insulation cover will help the PVC from absorbing heat (cold air does aid in combustion). Nice job though.

Take that metal hose that feeds into the rubber boot at the throtle body OFF. It only feeds dirty/oily air into the intake. Then put filter material over the opening into the boot and over the end of the hose. Put some kind of deflector in front of the air filter or it will get soaked when raining. A foil insulation cover will help the PVC from absorbing heat (cold air does aid in combustion). Nice job though.

About the metal hose are you talking about the black L-shaped one?

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Last edited:
You're about 4-5 years late on that one. It has been done before SEARCH the site. You don't gain that much from this mod but water in your intake and a beeacth to change or clean that filter easily. Good Luck

About the metal hose are you talking about the black L-shaped one?

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Yes. The one right above the coolant hose that goes to the throttle body. I assume it is a PCV recycle hose. I was cleaning my intake and traced the sludge in my throttle body to coming from this hose. I took it off, filtered the hole and tube end and experienced no difference in engine performance. Now I know that crud isn't going into my intake anymore. That said - I am an amature mechanic so you may want to check with someone with credentials.
Any feedback out there?

Back